Re: Sony software strikes again

Subject: Re: Sony software strikes again
From: "Rob Danielson"
Date: Tue May 16, 2006 2:26pm(PDT)
At 7:15 PM +0000 5/16/06, el_supremo01 wrote:
>  > I sent an email and received a reply saying that the problem was too
>>  complex to handle via email and they gave me the toll-free number to
>>  call. So we'll see how it goes tomorrow.
>
>I've just got off the phone. I won't bore you with the aggravating
>details but after three phone calls the short answer is that Sony
>can't recover deleted tracks from a minidisc. I still find that hard
>to believe but I got it from two different people at Sony USA.
>
>I'm an amateur recordist so in the great scheme of things I can
>survive the aggravation. I still had a good weekend at Anglin Lake
>anyway. But if I was a professional and lost something like 3 hours of
>recording I'd be ready to spit nails at every Sony employee from the
>company's president on down.
>
>So, my advice to you good folks is:
>- if you don't already own a Sony minidisc recorder, you're lucky,
>look for something else.
>
>- if you already own one, always transfer the audio one group of
>tracks at a time so that if Sonicstage goes insane it might only blow
>away that one group instead of everything on the disc. (I highlighted
>all 7 groups and told it to transfer them to the computer - it only
>did the first group and then deleted all 7 from the minidisc).
>
>Pete

Hi Pete- I'm sorry to learn Sony wasn't willing or couldn't help out.
Hopefully they'll see your frustration as incentive to improve their
transfer protocol.  Our squeaking wheels could have helped win the
manual gain and old MD disk compatibility in their newest Hi-MD model.

Its also a tiny bit of compensation for you and other HiMD users that
you were alert and have provided clues about the cause.  If I
understand your description, I believe the risk was increased when
you attempted another USB transfer at the same time (not by selecting
a large number of folder/files). Like Final Cut Pro and other apps,
SonicStage could require control of the target disk directory. Did
you by chance ask Sony about this?  It is possible they know the
exact cause.  Until I get a chance to follow-up on this question, I
am assuming that SS regards simultaneous uploading as an
"interruption" of the target disk activity. Please let me know if I
do not understand what was going on with your transfer or situation.

The main design flaw we see in our 900's and 910's is from power
interruption or a very low battery when the disk directory is being
written. This crops up only when making recordings over 2 hours or
when people start out with a weak battery. It seems some units can
fail to detect the low power soon enough to stop and save the data
when sufficient power remains in the single AA battery. The manual
states to always start recording with a fresh battery and I stress
this over and over in my classes.  When I need to record for over 2
hours on a jaunt or overnight, I've been powering my units on 2
D-cells or 2-AA's.

Hang on to that disk if the material is precious. I would not be
surprised to see a hack at some point down the line.  Sorry, your
story did not have a better ending, but maybe you have prevented
further chapters from being un-written. Best, Rob D.