Re: Sennheiser deals?

Subject: Re: Sennheiser deals?
From: "Rob Danielson"
Date: Mon May 29, 2006 10:01am(PDT)
At 11:22 AM -0400 5/29/06, Walter Knapp wrote:

>A friend I have in the rental audio equipment also told me it's getting
>to where most production companies have decided that they don't need
>high quality sound, no one will notice if they rent cheaper mics.
>Because the MKH don't get rented as much, they are being stocked less.
>Two of my MKH came from rental places that decided the MKH did not get
>rented enough.

Hi Walt--
The Film/video recordists I know are mostly into shotguns like 60 and
70 and some are into fig 8's for M-S with their shotguns. Comments on
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.movies.production.sound
suggest that some
folks prefer the results they get with a Rode NTG-1/NTG-2 shotgun
which runs ~$250 new. I'm sure some recordists are just opting for
the lower cost, but some do seem happier with the Rode shotgun and I
assume they are judging the differences with care as they have so
many hours of recording behind them. I don't believe there's a
lower-cost small diaphragm (light weight, small) fig 8 mic comparable
to the mkh30, mkh-80 or mkh-800 as yet.  The prices on these Senn
models seem to be holding much better. You have a real knack for
tracking eBay auctions. We'll see what the MKH-800 goes for--
hopefully, to someone on this list for peanuts! The mis-listed MKH-80
I picked up from eBay is the best mic I've ever used for recording
ambience in quiet locations, hands down. I'd take out a 2nd mortgage
if I could find three more at the same price. :-)  Rob D.