Re: Sennheiser deals?

Subject: Re: Sennheiser deals?
From: "Walter Knapp"
Date: Mon May 29, 2006 8:25am(PDT)
From: "Tim Gray"

> I've been watching MKH's for the last year and the only "deals" I've
> seen are the occasional MKH60 for 8-900 and MKH40's.  The 40's go for
> cheaper (6-700).  Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough, but it
> seems like good prices for MKH's on ebay just doesn't really happen
> much anymore.

This is cyclic, and depends somewhat on the economy. Right now there are
not a lot of movie and TV productions failing or finishing up, the
primary source of MKH on ebay. A downturn in the economy and you may
find lots of MKH being sold off.

A friend I have in the rental audio equipment also told me it's getting
to where most production companies have decided that they don't need
high quality sound, no one will notice if they rent cheaper mics.
Because the MKH don't get rented as much, they are being stocked less.
Two of my MKH came from rental places that decided the MKH did not get
rented enough.

Several of the MKH I got were improperly listed, or listed in odd
categories, so less savvy folks probably never found the auctions. I
love those sorts of auctions.

It took me over 3 years to accumulate my MKH set off ebay, watching
virtually every day. In the past 6 months I can remember seeing MKH 20,
30, 40, 50, 800, 60, & 70 all on ebay, I don't think I saw a 80. Not all
good prices, but some were not bad. There have been quite a few recently
that are new mics being sold at slight discounts. There is also, right
now, for instance, a MKH-800 on ebay at $500, though it's not met
reserve at that price. There is a MKH-70 currently at $200 (with a
reserve), with a buy it now of $1100. The new MKH-20 mentioned at $1029
with a buy it now of $1049. A MKH-40 currently at $799. None of these
have attracted much in the way of bidding. And that does not count the
bunch of MKH-416 older shotguns.