Re: MicroTrack 24/96

Subject: Re: MicroTrack 24/96
From: "Eric Benjamin" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:45:03 -0800
>"Martyn Stewart" wrote:
> Has anyone actually used one of these in the field? I would be interested
> find out other peoples opinions before I take the bloody thing back!!!

Martyn,
I have one and I've used it for quite a lot of field recordings.  It does
have flaws, it's true, but the small size, portability, and ease of transfer
of files really work for me.  I have used both the PIP with the mini-phone
plug input and the phantom power on the TRS inputs.  Mostly I use it with a
pair of home-brew microphones which use the PIP supply.  I have the recorder
in one pocket and the microphones in another.  It gives me unprecedented
freedom of movement.  Most of all, it increases the likelihood that I will
actually have the recorder when I need it!

I have experienced no problems with the low phantom voltage - and I wouldn't
expect to.  Most of the microphones that I used are rated to work from
phantom supplies between 12 Volts and 48 Volts.  I'm sure that there are
some that don't work properly with 30 Volts phantom power; I just haven't
encountered them.  In any case I would be incredibly surprised (and
disappointed!) if a microphone were to be damaged by low phantom power
voltage.  After all, every microphone is exposed to the intermediate
voltages as the phantom power is switched on and ramps up.

I have no doubt that the decision to use 30 Volts phantom power was a
considered one on the part of M-Audio.  Phantom powering is an inefficient
way of getting power to the microphone.  Consider the case of the Schoeps MK
series microphones that I like.  The internal supply is 6 Volts and 4.5 mA,
which is achieved by drawing 4.5 mA from two 48 Volt supplies.  Basically,
that means that the whole setup consumes 8 times as much power as it has to.
Dropping the phantom supply to 30 Volts results in the same performance, but
only wastes half as much power.  It's a compromise.  I'm more concernted
about the use of TRS connectors.

I haven't done it, but it shouldn't be difficult to rig up an adapter to
recharge the device through its USB port.  If you would like for me to work
up a schematic, contact me off-list.

Eric Benjamin