Re: tascam da-p1 vs. pre-amp

Subject: Re: tascam da-p1 vs. pre-amp
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:13:27 +0200
At 17:41 2005-04-21, you wrote:

> >  Here, with my old Tascam (one of the first) we could clearly hear the
> > noise
> >  difference between two mic's - one making 10 dbA noise and the other
> > 6 dbA.
> >  That wouldn't have been possible with a noisy Tascam!?
>
>Sorry for the confusion here, I never meant to say that the Tascam's
>preamps are noisy, just that they're 'noisier' than those in my HHB,
>and definitely noisier than the ones in my Lunatec or my Sound Devices
>722. This should be expected, my Lunatec cost $1500, and is a very high
>quality dedicated preamp.

Still I don't understand. This is not a question of quality or price, but
of logic:

If you can hear the difference between a 10 dbA and a 6 dbA microphone with=

a certain input, you can be sure that it is microphone noise you hear!

How can a preamp improve microphone noise?? The noise is already there,
before it enters the preamp!!!!!!
In my logic, the only thing a preamp can do, is amplify it??!!

Or is the world flat, after all?

Klas.