Re: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?

Subject: Re: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 17:33:41 -0000

> The Jecklin disk is a very elegant design, hardly crude.
>
> I used the word crude only in that the mic setup described did
not
> follow Juerg Jecklin's original design. It's well worth reading
his
> paper, which is available online:
> http://www.josephson.com/tn5.html
> The disk shown on that page is not Jecklin's original design
which used
> a 3/8" plywood core with a foam and sheepskin dampening
layer.
Thanks Walt, I read the paper at the link you provided. It is always
important to have an understanding of the groundwork laid
before - whatever field you are in.  Unfortunately that paper does
not do much to explain the reasoning behind the Jecklin design.
The disk's dimensions are given, 300mm diameter and mics
spaced 165mm, but how did Jecklin get those numbers?  Did he
measure his own perfectly symmetrical head?  And why a
circular disk instead of a square or an amoeboid for that matter?
Also, there are many typing mistakes in the document.  The
Jecklin disk itself may be a simple and functional design but this
"typing in" of Jecklin's original text is certainly crude.
-John hartog