Re: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?

Subject: Re: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:49:00 -0000

> I have a couple questions about this. What makes the Jecklin design
> so inferior, and what sort of modifications would best improve the
> commercial design?  What sort of barriers do you prefer?

For the separation of the mics the size of the dish is way to small.
Lows go around and the center is huge before you get any separation.

My favorite barrier is still the "foam block head".
1' x 1' x 8.5" square. mics in the center. two 4" thick high density
foam pieces with a plywood center. pics upon request as most have seen
them.

> I have been experimenting with barriers with NT1-As and I83s.  For
> the NT1-As I made a barrier sort of like a Jecklin disk, but its
> oval instead of round and its thicker - about two inches thick made
> from some dense fiberglass acoustic tile material I found at the
> local recycled scrap store. It seems to work well for directional
> stereo with both mics out a couple inches from the surface and faced
> strait forward.
>
> For the 183s I have been working on a barrier for use with a dish.
> First I tried mounting the mics on a small disk of thin metal -
> about two inches diameter. This had great stereo for the subject
> sounds, but it flipped left and right for more distant sounds. My
> guess is sounds from the right reflect off the left side of the dish
> and into the left mic.  Today I am trying out a larger disk - it's
> made from an old record, a standard LP what ever size that is.  My
> hope is it will shield the left and right of the dish from sounds
> from the opposite sides. The mics are mounted to the surface of the
> record facing into the dish.  I suppose this may have some pzm
> effect, though I don't know much about pzms.
> -John Hartog

If it is a big disc you use, you will not get the flip in image but
you will also only get 1/2 dish per mic. You will also loose that
great separation between center targets.  In exchange you will get
better separation on the off axis side sounds.

Take your poison as there are advantages to each.  I prefer the flip
and no disc except when a huge flock flys in front of me like flocks
of geese and swans.

Next I want to try a miniture head at the focal point.  kinda like a
barbie doll head with mics in the ears. :) yup I am crazy.

Enjoy. Rich