Re: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?

Subject: Re: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?
From: "Terry King" <>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:47:22 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> The recent commercial designs I've seen have been a bit lean on the
foam layer. That layer is used to balance the frequency response of
the  system. Too lean will result in too much high frequency. Comments
by the  pro's seem to say that about them.

I was actually thinking about Sheepskin for this, even before I read
the last posts!  Sheepskin going over the edge would also reduce HF
diffraction effects, I think.

Right now, sheepskin is in somewhat of an over-supply situation here
in North Africa.  Last week was an Islamic holiday in which most all
families sacrifice a sheep, and share it with the less-fortunate.
There were sheep everywhere, on every nice looking patch of grass, for
the last month. One day driving towards Tunis, there were about 30
sheep and a traditional robed sheepherder in an 8 foot wide median
between the guard rails of the divided highway. I wish I saw him get
them there and back!  When we went to the big French CarreFour
Supermarket there was a Tent Sale in the parking lot.  I checked it
out.  Umm.. Live Sheep.  Bales of hay.  It's not like COSTCO any
more...

I'm looking for one of Last Year's well-cured sheepskins right now. I
don't want to scare off any wildlife on a downwind SoundScape.

Hope to get my 183's out there soon.  Thanks for all the great ideas
and What-Works perspectives I've gained here.

Regards, Terry King  ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage
  (ping www.terryking.us says I'm only 330 mS Away...)