Re: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?

Subject: Re: Minimics from Microphone Madness for field recording?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:36:07 -0500
From: "John Hartog" <>

> The LP worked conveniently well as a barrier in my parabolic
> dish.  But you are right, it might sound better with a less reflective
> barrier.

It all depends on what you are doing. The Telinga stereo, for instance,
uses a central barrier with multiple capsules in PZM mounting. It wants
the reflection.

> Yes, well, the similarities to a Jecklin disc was probably only by
> chance. The distance between the mics was pretty much
> determined by the materials I was working with.  I was thinking
> quasi-binaural not Jecklin, and I actually  measured my own
> head to get the dimensions.  I ended up with an sort of oval
> shape with the mics located off center towards the back.  The
> materials were inexpensive, and I really had nothing to lose - a
> couple cups of coffee and few hours of messing around and in
> the end the thing I created really works well for me.  At least for
> now.

I bet you will tinker with it for a long time and find even better sound
as you do. As I said I just pointed out it's similarity to a Jecklin
disk to provide some new fodder for your tinkering. Those standard
designs that stay around do so for a reason, studying what they are
doing gives lots of ideas.

> Thanks for the info: I will check out  Crown's pzm section where
> I'm sure to find fuel for future caffeine inspired endeavors.

Crown also had a newsletter and that's archived on their site. Reading
through that will turn up other inspiration. Like the experimental pzm
dish I have. The one I have is the small one, I've got to make a big one
after reading their descriptions of the results with bigger dishes. The
trick is finding a dish. It's not parabolic but a section of a sphere.
The mic is mounted offset, and you point the edge of the dish at the source.

I'm certain there are other very good designs just waiting out there for
us to stumble on. What keeps me fiddling around.