Re: Sound Devices 744T

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 744T
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:48:59 -0500
>  From: Rob Danielson <>

> Right. I'm new to 2.5" drives. The connector SD uses in the 744 is
> shorter than the 2.5" drive's (at least the sone they supply) and
> requires that two of the pins on the drive be bent back for the
> connector slide fully on. I need to do some research on this; I'd
> hate to blow the warranty on a new drive installing it into a 722/744.

So, they have a non-standard connection? Not a good sign. Wonder how
long before some in depth review roasts them for that?

I've worked with plenty of these small drives. About all I'd warn about
is make sure that the connector is properly keyed. Some of those
connectors can be connected reversed, which is instant death for the drive.

> If I went on a long trip, I'd take along another 80GB drive to swap
> out about half way and not mess with transfers at all until I got
> back home.

I think for any hard disk recorder part of the kit for a long foray
should be a spare hard disk. But that's not really getting away from
risk, more being able to keep recording if the drive dies.

> I should ask SD if the Mic/Line inputs have the same A->D, I assume
> they do. The difference in clarity below 400Hz is glaring, even shows
> in the wave form to my eye.

You might want to note that I record clear down into infrasound through
the MP2 using the MKH-110's. I've not noticed any kind of glaring problem.

I'm wondering if your MP2 is up to snuff. That sure does not sound like
what I get out of mine.

> I've been experimenting with two warm omni's in the "rear" (mbho
> 603/100D)  in part to make sure I get plenty of  low-mid data for
> capturing local reverberations. (These mics, also are very immune to
> walking vibrations). I would, however, prefer to process the signals
> from these mics with a 744 style pre (If I could) because it adds
> less "grunge" in this Hz range. Terese, my wife, noticed the improved
> clarity when walking through my studio with my very first tests. I
> should conduct a Peet test comparing the 744T's A->D to my RME's. I
> think you'll find the MKh30/60 combo will have less grunge thru the
> 722  pre.

You might want to take Juerg Jecklin's comments concerning adding on to
the main stereo mic to heart. His opinion was if you were having to do
this, you were using the wrong stereo main, or setting it up wrong.

The MKH-30/60 combo I have is crystal clear through the MP2. No grunge.
I like it's sound at all frequencies.

> Maybe the above mentioned  2.5" drive swap is best and you could use
> the CF for dual record BU all the time.  When you get home one can
> mount the 2.5" drive on a mac or PC's internal drive harness with a
> $12 adapter. The 2.5" drive even works in a external 3.5" FW case
> with the $12 adapter.

This would just be putting all the eggs in another HD basket. What I'm
talking about is a backup to a archival media in the field, without
having to deal with all the laptop ritual.

> Recording to a drive is fantastic. I can spend the time I once spent
> listening to transfers in real time making "select outs" and do
> things like drop markers

As I've noted before, the transfer run is integrated into my evaluation
of each recording. Often it's my first run all the way through a
recording. As such it's hardly wasted time. I'd just have to do the same
listen before or after the transfer anyway. I actually like the
discipline imposed by it being a transfer, I'm required to listen
straight through and take the recording in as a whole, not just skip around.

> SD's planned FW code will allow simultaneous record to a "pocket"
> 2.5" external drive using the power from the 744. That has some neat
> applications when you think about it. No transfer is necessary with
> this, really. You could mail a CF to someone who needed 2GB of files
> in a hurry and still be BU'd on the road with no laptop.

You can do the mailing of the CF to someone now if you think about it.
Just build the CF from the hard disk. Of course you do have the problem
of the expense of any quantity of CF's.

It's possible the FW code they will do will allow the optical to be
used. A optical typically comes up just like a hard drive.

> The advantages of fully-compatible drive tech for recording/uploading
> are pretty significant. Makes me more aware of the proprieties of the
> MD formats.  Rob D.

Compared to the many hours it takes to make recordings, transfer time is
just a minor blip. I've always found it a little strange that folks will
make it the centerpiece of their opinion of recorders. It does not
really have much to do with sound quality.