Re: Sound Devices 744T

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 744T
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:14:32 -0600
At 12:45 AM -0500 2/2/05, Walter Knapp wrote:
>From: Rob Danielson <>
>

>SD does say you can replace the drive, but also recommended that you
>have a qualified service shop do it. I don't see any problem replacing
>one.
>  Though if needed during the warranty period you might want a shop
>to do it.

Right. I'm new to 2.5" drives. The connector SD uses in the 744 is
shorter than the 2.5" drive's (at least the sone they supply) and
requires that two of the pins on the drive be bent back for the
connector slide fully on. I need to do some research on this; I'd
hate to blow the warranty on a new drive installing it into a 722/744.

If I went on a long trip, I'd take along another 80GB drive to swap
out about half way and not mess with transfers at all until I got
back home.

>>  I'm quite sure we will be hearing positive reports long after the
>>  honeymoons. I'm comparing the pres at the same time in quad.
>
>I realized you were comparing in quad. Have you checked the sound
>quality of the two line in's against the two mic in channels? Could some
>of what you are hearing be some difference there? Or are you certain all
>of it's the MP2?

I should ask SD if the Mic/Line inputs have the same A->D, I assume
they do. The difference in clarity below 400Hz is glaring, even shows
in the wave form to my eye.

>If it does anywhere near the same or better than the MP2 it will be ok.

>>  Definitely. I'm just getting to know the 744's pre.
>
>It will be interesting as time goes on to see how it's reported.
>
>>  Are you saying that warmer coloration adds depth and greater localization?
>
>It helps to fill in the sense of volume that stereo is trying to
>communicate. At least to my ears. I'm not sure if that includes
>localization of a single singer in the ambient field, but I think so.
>
>This may only apply where the stereo is recorded two mic, not in stereo
>mixed from more channels. I would expect the extra channels would mess
>up the delicate effect I'm talking about.
>
>You have to listen to the dimensional stability of the stereo field to
>look into this, not the sound quality of individual channels. What space
>the stereo is creating, is the space believable throughout the field, is
>it evenly supported throughout the field, etc.

I've been experimenting with two warm omni's in the "rear" (mbho
603/100D)  in part to make sure I get plenty of  low-mid data for
capturing local reverberations. (These mics, also are very immune to
walking vibrations). I would, however, prefer to process the signals
from these mics with a 744 style pre (If I could) because it adds
less "grunge" in this Hz range. Terese, my wife, noticed the improved
clarity when walking through my studio with my very first tests. I
should conduct a Peet test comparing the 744T's A->D to my RME's. I
think you'll find the MKh30/60 combo will have less grunge thru the
722  pre.

>>  Maybe record to both media using a 2GB CF and the Int HD to be safe?
>>  This would give you 2 hours at 24/48 in stereo. You could leave the
>>  CF card in as its faster to dl from the FW. Yes, you can transfer
>>  from Int HD->CF internally.
>
>I'd not picked up on being able to record the same recording to both
>media simultaneously. So there is a duplex setting? That would save
>internal transfer for backup.
>
>Think about the long foray I'm planning, how you'd handle that working
>entirely mobile. I'll run that entire time without using any plug in
>power sources, only what I take with me in the truck. That does not
>include a computer. It would be nice if it could write directly to my
>firewire optical drive. Wonder how likely that is.

Maybe the above mentioned  2.5" drive swap is best and you could use
the CF for dual record BU all the time.  When you get home one can
mount the 2.5" drive on a mac or PC's internal drive harness with a
$12 adapter. The 2.5" drive even works in a external 3.5" FW case
with the $12 adapter.

Recording to a drive is fantastic. I can spend the time I once spent
listening to transfers in real time making "select outs" and do
things like drop markers

SD's planned FW code will allow simultaneous record to a "pocket"
2.5" external drive using the power from the 744. That has some neat
applications when you think about it. No transfer is necessary with
this, really. You could mail a CF to someone who needed 2GB of files
in a hurry and still be BU'd on the road with no laptop.

The advantages of fully-compatible drive tech for recording/uploading
are pretty significant. Makes me more aware of the proprieties of the
MD formats.  Rob D.