Re: Sound Devices 744T

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 744T
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:06:34 -0600
At 1:46 AM -0800 2/14/05, Dan Dugan wrote:
>Rob Danielson, you wrote,
>
>>I figured out what prompted the impression of greater transparency
>>with the 744 pre. I had by-passed the bi-amplification on my rear
>>speakers and forgot about it. The 744's signals were getting bi-amp'd
>>and the MP-2s' signals were not (creating additional load on the full
>>range speaker's subwoofers).
>
>Comparing preamps on different speakers? The difference between the
>speakers (even if identical) will be much more than the difference
>between the preamps.

Apparently so!  And "on speakers" is where the difference would have
to be audible in order to count.

I have four, 3-way JBL 4410's and four stereo amps with the option of
using cross-overs to roll off below 100Hz and use separately amp'd
10" sub woofers on all four speakers. I forgot that I had by-passed
the subs from the rear pair and was running them as full range
lessening the clarity of their bottom end.  I should have noticed it
right off but I wasn't panning-- just sub-mastering discrete signals.

>>Amazing to me that the pres sound so similar
>>given that one design uses transformers and the other doesn't.
>
>Good equipment will sound the same! An expectation of differences
>between mic preamps has been raised by marketing campaigns for mic
>preamps. Since people rarely do blind comparisons, most don't realize
>how small the differences are.

No discernable difference is a very good test of "good" isn't it? In
the back of my mind I was recalling your question of a while ago
about how the quality of the 722/744 transfomerless mic preamp would
compare to that of the MP2.  Until more field experience points to
consistent differences, the transformer sound vs. non transformer
sound debate is on hold in my thinking.

I spent yesterday afternoon hiking and continuously recording with my
four channel backpack rig--stopping when I heard something
interesting.  I dumped the files to my hard drive while having
dinner. After dinner, I quickly cut out the over-modulated walking
segments and played through the files making selections. Normally,
I'd be still transferring them this morning.   Rob D.