Re: Sound Devices 744T

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 744T
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:45:31 -0500
From: Rob Danielson <>

> Like I said, it's been a pleasure to use. There's a button for step
> up another for step down. The most-used items are among the first
> ones in both directions. Drive capacity has its own button and its
> also on the main LCD.  95% of the settings I use are set with power
> up. The factory defaults are pretty well thought out if one should
> lose all settings and needs to record asap.

The factory defaults would not suit me, at least the ones listed in the
manual. But that's neither here or there.

So, regardless of which control you are into stepping through the items.
If they are in the order in the manual, I saw some down in around the
30th or so item I'd be using. That's what was bothering me. That's a lot
of items to run through for a setting.

I'm sure I could make it work, just trying to get a feel for how it
would work.

> Sounds the same. I use that knob to roll through headphone monitoring
> settings I programmed.

I downloaded both manuals, but have not read the 744 manual as closely.

> they can be controlled separately, even brightness of each.

Sounds fine, all the lights they have made it sound like a christmas tree.

>>>Such falls as yours took are very risky with a hard disk in there. You
>>>were very lucky. Or you were recording with a CF and the hard disc was
>>>parked.
>

> INT HD only,

You were lucky. SD warns in the manual about even bumping it while the
HD is writing.

> The heat generated by the unit has kept itself within operation range
> at least when partially wrapped at cold temps. I unwrapped it and let
> it get cold because I wanted to see what would happen. A new $80GB
> 2.5" hard drive is $150 and you can replace it yourself.

Yes, the HD will generate it's own heat if running. Startup in a cold
environment would be the one to watch.

The drives are cheap enough, but if you have the only possible recording
of a rare bird on there when it dies, price of drive is not going to be
the important thing. I notice SD recommends replacing the drive on a
schedule even if it's still working.

SD does say you can replace the drive, but also recommended that you
have a qualified service shop do it. I don't see any problem replacing
one. Though if needed during the warranty period you might want a shop
to do it.

> I'm quite sure we will be hearing positive reports long after the
> honeymoons. I'm comparing the pres at the same time in quad.

I realized you were comparing in quad. Have you checked the sound
quality of the two line in's against the two mic in channels? Could some
of what you are hearing be some difference there? Or are you certain all
of it's the MP2?

If it does anywhere near the same or better than the MP2 it will be ok.

>>>You should really reserve judgment. You are currently in the "honeymoon"
>>>period with the recorder. Your brain's sound processing center is being
>>>swamped with messages telling it you like this recorder and it's going
>>>to produce sound better than anything else. Or something like that. You
>>>sound processing center and your sound interpretation part of your brain
>>>says "yes master, you want it to sound good", and feeds you a sound good
>>>sound. Give it a while and you will get a less colored interpretation. I
>>>expect you will still like it, but the flaws in it's sound will also
>>>reach your awareness. You will notice it's particular coloration in a
>>>new light.
>

> Definitely. I'm just getting to know the 744's pre.

It will be interesting as time goes on to see how it's reported.

> Are you saying that warmer coloration adds depth and greater localization?

It helps to fill in the sense of volume that stereo is trying to
communicate. At least to my ears. I'm not sure if that includes
localization of a single singer in the ambient field, but I think so.

This may only apply where the stereo is recorded two mic, not in stereo
mixed from more channels. I would expect the extra channels would mess
up the delicate effect I'm talking about.

You have to listen to the dimensional stability of the stereo field to
look into this, not the sound quality of individual channels. What space
the stereo is creating, is the space believable throughout the field, is
it evenly supported throughout the field, etc.

> Maybe record to both media using a 2GB CF and the Int HD to be safe?
> This would give you 2 hours at 24/48 in stereo. You could leave the
> CF card in as its faster to dl from the FW. Yes, you can transfer
> from Int HD->CF internally.

I'd not picked up on being able to record the same recording to both
media simultaneously. So there is a duplex setting? That would save
internal transfer for backup.

Think about the long foray I'm planning, how you'd handle that working
entirely mobile. I'll run that entire time without using any plug in
power sources, only what I take with me in the truck. That does not
include a computer. It would be nice if it could write directly to my
firewire optical drive. Wonder how likely that is.

> When the directory becomes corrupt with a mounting or handshake
> problem. This was happening with some platforms and the FW cable
> hook-up initially. Its been taken care o as best I know.

Hopefully so, that would be a serious problem.