Re: Sound Devices 744T

Subject: Re: Sound Devices 744T
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:05:53 -0600
At 2:48 PM -0500 2/3/05, Walter Knapp wrote:
>  >  From: Rob Danielson <>
>
>>  Right. I'm new to 2.5" drives. The connector SD uses in the 744 is
>>  shorter than the 2.5" drive's (at least the sone they supply) and
>>  requires that two of the pins on the drive be bent back for the
>>  connector slide fully on. I need to do some research on this; I'd
>>  hate to blow the warranty on a new drive installing it into a 722/744.
>
>So, they have a non-standard connection? Not a good sign. Wonder how
>long before some in depth review roasts them for that?

Mine is a very early production unit. I'm sure SD will facilitate
easy drive changes any way they can.

>(744 pre) difference in clarity below 400Hz is glaring, even shows
>  > in the wave form to my eye.
>
>You might want to note that I record clear down into infrasound through
>the MP2 using the MKH-110's. I've not noticed any kind of glaring problem.

The colorations all mic pres exhibit, to my ears, is a "tuning," but
also a difference in harmonic distortion. I have no way of
measuring/comparing the two pres, but the difference between the MP-2
ant eh 744's  pres shows up best in the 744's ability to portray
local reverberations. I'm not saying the MP-2 is bad. I don't mean
"grunge" as negative, just descriptive. .

>I'm wondering if your MP2 is up to snuff. That sure does not sound like
>what I get out of mine.

Could be. I've used it side by side with another mp-2 many times though.

>>  I've been experimenting with two warm omni's in the "rear" (mbho
>>  603/100D)  in part to make sure I get plenty of  low-mid data for
>>  capturing local reverberations. (These mics, also are very immune to
>>  walking vibrations). I would, however, prefer to process the signals
>>  from these mics with a 744 style pre (If I could) because it adds
>>  less "grunge" in this Hz range. Terese, my wife, noticed the improved
>>  clarity when walking through my studio with my very first tests. I
>>  should conduct a Peet test comparing the 744T's A->D to my RME's. I
>>  think you'll find the MKh30/60 combo will have less grunge thru the
>>  722  pre.
>
>You might want to take Juerg Jecklin's comments concerning adding on to
>the main stereo mic to heart. His opinion was if you were having to do
>this, you were using the wrong stereo main, or setting it up wrong.

"..wrong..." ?  I'm still testing and barriers will be included.
Based on what I heard with your mkh 20 SASS rig when you were here
last Fall, SASS is another direction to go with my portability
priorities. My mbho's should fit into a SASS. They have 14dBA noise.
What is Crown asking for their SASS housing?

<snip>

>>  Recording to a drive is fantastic. I can spend the time I once spent
>>  listening to transfers in real time making "select outs" and do
>>  things like drop markers
>
>As I've noted before, the transfer run is integrated into my evaluation
>of each recording. Often it's my first run all the way through a
>recording. As such it's hardly wasted time

With the very long recordings I generate, the files are moved to my
hard drive while I cook dinner or sleep. The next morning, as I read
naturerecordist etc,.., I play the recordings stopping to extract or
mark something when I want to.  Listening is one of the best
accompaniment activities I know of.  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Film Department