Re: Shure 183

Subject: Re: Shure 183
From: Eric Benjamin <>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:47:40 -0800 (PST)
Lang,

I uploaded the test report to the naturerecordists web
site.

I found that the self noise of the MX183 was about
21.9 dB(A), or about 1.3 dB worse than the
manufacturers spec.  But there is a Big difference in
performance between the MX183 and the MX183 BP (belt
pack) version.  The MX183 has 12 dB more gain and
several dB better self noise.  It's a difference in
philsophy between the electronics in the MX183 and
MX183BP vairants.  There is also a difference in the
LF response.  The BP version is actually a little up
at 20 Hz if you select the "flat" low frequency
response.  Whereas the MX183 version is a little down
at 20 Hz.

None of this predicts what you will actually get if
you use the lavaliere version (WL183) because the
noise will be substantially determined by the input
stage of your recorder unless it has exceptionally
quiet electronics.

Eric