Re: aircraft over national parks

Subject: Re: aircraft over national parks
From: "John Hartog" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:35:52 -0000
I might as well throw this in.
I was looking around for information on flight tracks, and found
this.
http://angler.larc.nasa.gov/flighttracks/graphics.html
The bottom set of Cumulative Flight Statistics shows a days worth of
flight activity across the united states.
Noise tidal waves?
JH

--- In  Wild Sanctuary <>
wrote:
> Yikes, Barb! Even w/ R. Murray Schafer at the Canadian soundscape
> helm the problems are that great? Worse than I could have even
> imagined. I do know that they're trying to do a soundscape project
> similar to the one done by the park service in the US in Glacier
Park
> just over the hill from Banff to the west. But they have no
resources
> and no outside funding support to do it. Any thoughts on how to
get
> it implemented?
>
> Bernie Krause
>
> >Forget quiet protection in Canada.  We have transcontinenata
highways
> >(huge trucks with retarder brakes) and train lines through our
Mountain
> >National Parks as well as planes and helicopters.  .  I have an
owl
> >recording which I just let run which has the train pulling out of
the
> >Hinton station.  45 minutes later at the end of the tape  you can
still
> >hear the train, its sound echoing along the canyons.  Jasper and
Banff
> >are horribly polluted with sound.   Helicopter "climbing" and
skiing -
> >so mountain trails are polluted by this noise. In the age of
instant
> >gratification do not need to hike up a mountain when a helicopter
can
> >deposit you in the alpine region where the hiking is easy.   Sir
Winston
> >Churchill National Park and the nearby Lakelands Provincial Park
seems
> >to be  a favorite place for dogfights from the Cold Lake Air base
and
> >supersonic runs with these planes  as well as the lake is nice and
> >convenient for people learning to fly water drop air bombers to
practice
> >all day.  A few of our provincial parks (Beta Lake and Freeman
Lake that
> >I know of are located right NEXT to compressor plants.  If you
think
> >airplanes are noisy try these things.  I do a Breeding bird
survey route
> >near Beta Lake.  Two miles away the noise is starting to bother my
> >hearing the birds.  a quarter mile away (adjacent to the Beta Lake
> >Park)  I can hear nothing!!.   Our enlightened government has set
aside
> >some natural areas for "protection" but the red neck quad and
bike  and
> >off road 4x4 people "need" recreation places so they are ALLOWED
in
> >these areas.  We are watching the Opal Dunes and the Redwater
Dunes be
> >completely trashed.  The Reindeer lichen and vegetation natural
to the
> >areas is being completely destroyed and we are getting actual
blowing
> >sand dunes there.  Nobody in our enlightened government seems to
care
> >that the ecosystem that is being protected is being destroyed.=20
These
> >guys like to play in the sand and mud so even the wetlands which
are
> >protected are criss crossed (all standing vegetation flattened)
by ATV
> >tracks.
> >
> >Most do not visit our parks for quiet or to be in natural
settings.  Go
> >to our parks like Jasper and Banff.  The trails are relatively
empty but
> >the townsites are packed - impossible to get a parking space.=20
They get
> >their wonderful wilderness thrill by letting a deer eat a
sandwich off
> >their plate at lunch time.
> >
> >Now to California.  I think the limit I heard there a few years
ago was
> >at Henry Cal (Cowl??) Redwoods Park - South of Frisco..  There
was a
> >concession there that BLARED canned Music through the park.  Nice
way to
> >enjoy the redwoods accompanied by the Ballad of Casey Jones  and
you
> >could not even hear some of the birds let alone record them.   The
> >concession probably did not matter anyway because almost
everywhere we
> >went there were idiots with their huge car sound machines blaring
at
> >levels which should cause deafness rapidly.  Sequoia NP with a
> >combination of aircraft and cars that blared was probably the
absolute
> >worst.  How Bernie managed to record anything in that place is
beyond me
> >- unless things have changed drastically in the last few  years.
> >
> >Most do not care about the sound pollution and most do not care
about
> >wild sounds.  They hike the trails with their earphones on
listening to
> >their favorite "music".
> >
> >Anyway we have no worries about wildlife - current "scientific
thinking"
> >from the US apparently is saying that God allows species to go
extinct
> >because he can always put new ones on the earth.  The fact that
he puts
> >new ones on the earth is prove by the fact that scientists are
> >discovering new species all the time.  Nuff said - I am getting
bitter
> >and I am in the middle of Christmas baking.
> >
> >Barb Beck
> >
> >Vicki Powys wrote:
> >
> >>In Australia there are no clear cut regulations for control of
joy flight
> >>operators who fly over our national parks.  There have even been
joy flights
> >>using superseded military jet aircraft, where paying customers
are zoomed
> >>along at supersonic speed to within 150 metres of the ground,
with mock
> >>attacks on 'targets' such as unsuspecting park visitors who are
camped on
> >>lonely mountain tops of the Blue Mountains National Park, west
of Sydney,
> >>NSW.
> >>
> >>And there is the all-pervading sound of helicopters on joy
flights, with
> >>only a voluntary 'Fly Neighbourly Agreement' to keep the
choppers above 300
> >>metres.  Capertee Valley where I live, adjoins the Blue
Mountains National