Re: Tracktion Freeware promo (ends 12/31/04)

Subject: Re: Tracktion Freeware promo (ends 12/31/04)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:11:32 -0600
Hi Lang--
It seems to default to using interleaved files and stereo plugs. I
think when I tried to do a simple import of some split files it
refused to.  It does handle mono files though. If you wanted to bring
in older split files to a Traktion session, you may have to
rename/remove the ".L"  and ".R"  extensions. There may be another
work-around to with .wav files.

I doesn't use rubber band volume/pan automation, rather you play the
mix and it records changes to knobs that you make. I like this simple
approach for some projects. It does take VST plugs to affect a whole
track or even _parts_ of a tracks. It can "freeze" a whole track
_with plug settings_ to drastically lower CPU usage. Both of these
are fairly recent features on expensive, pro apps.

Traktion is not an end-all audio recording/editing/mixing app, but
its better than the other freebies I've tried-- especially for the
Mac at this juncture.  I know of no another free ap that records
multiple channels (audio interface permitting).

Here's an overview:
http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/index.html
Here's the manual.
http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/manual/man_trak_idx.html
Here the quickstart quide with look of interface:
http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/qstart.html

And folks, I see tonight that the free Tracktion offer expires 12-31-04.

Start here
http://my.mackie.com/tracktionpromo.asp
and follow the instructions carefully. You have to register and use a
little doc they send which retrieves your computer's ID number and
then send this info back in before its authorized. Its kind of
confusing. If you have Waves plugs, pull the waveshell out of the VST
folder before you launch the ap. You can authorize up to two
computers Mac/PC.  Mackie Support even answered my questions!

Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

--
Rob Danielson