Re: aircraft over national parks

Subject: Re: aircraft over national parks
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:47:02 -0800
A bunch o' stuff here in the US, Vicki. We've played a role in
several National Park Service overflight programs and have even done
some related studies in conjunction with Michigan State University.

There are tourist overflight restrictions related to Grand Canyon. No
tourist overflights are currently allowed in Rocky Mtn. National
Park. And others, such as in Hawaii, are currently under review.
Other park overflights, particularly in what's considered the "jewel"
parks are always considering ways to curb the problem.

On a related subject, we are happy to have played a major role in
having the "natural soundscape" designated as a "resource" within the
parks as part of Director's Order 47 that was implemented in the year
2000. That means that the the biophony must be regarded as other
natural resources and thus protected. It's a great concept and one
that has unfortunately not had a terrific amount of support from our
current administration, whose stated goal is privatization of many of
the traditional park functions and services. As a matter of fact, my
recent book, "Wild Soundscapes: Discovering the Voice of the Natural
World," was originally written for the educational ranger staff of
the park service to introduce visitors to the wonders of the natural
soundscape and to help set noise policies such as overflights,
jet-skis and snowmobiles, among other elements of anthrophony.

All the best,
Bernie Krause

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536