Re: Noise reduction, portable phantom power and minidisc recording

Subject: Re: Noise reduction, portable phantom power and minidisc recording
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:12:15 -0500
From: "John Hartog" <>

> Thanks for the information on attenuation Walt.
> A couple weeks ago, I was attempting to record the ocean at a
> place called Devil's Cauldron, and even with my recording levels
> down around 3, I still ended up with clipping.  Now  I'm thinking I
> might get better results trying it again with the  -20dB mic
> attenuation switch on my PMD-670 switched on.

I certainly would have tried to attenuate the sound some way. If you
have clipping, you pretty much must cut the signal going in to get a
good recording.

Mics may have attenuation switches you can use.

Moving the mic farther away may be possible. Sometimes it does not take
much. Or cover it with something.

If the mic is directional it's worth experimenting with shifting it's
axis, though often mics, particularly lower end mics are not good off
axis. The newest MKH are not bad.

I also have in my kit attenuating cables, though I generally only use
them in the link between pre and recorder.

> Also, you mentioned:
>
>>> My rule is not to use it unless the gain setting I end up with on
>
> the
>
>>> Portadisc is lower than 3-4 to obtain the headroom I want to
>
> see on the
>
>>> meter. Then attenuation will get your preamp gain back up in
>
> it's best
>
>>> performance area. 5-7 is it's best performance area.
>

> Does the 5-7 best performance range apply specifically to the
> Portadisc ?   If so, do you know of an easy way to determine the
> best performance range for other recorders?
> -John Hartog

It does vary, but nearly all amplifiers, pre's included, have a sweet
spot somewhere in the middle and fall off both ways. It takes doing a
bit of recording with a piece of equipment to map out it's best areas on
the gain setting.

Mics are the same way, they have a ideal sound level and do best near to
it.

Better mics and recorders simply have a wider good range in my
experience. And the variation is smaller.

It's what getting out and recording is all about. You really don't learn
these things from the spec sheets. There is no easy way, get out and
record, and listen to what you get.

I figure it takes me at least 6 months to a year to learn a mic, not all
that much different for a recorder, maybe faster. After a while I just
reach a point where I hardly have to think about the details of how I'm
using a piece of equipment and I know what it will give me. At that
point I can get more into being artistic in my recording. I'm just
beginning to get there with some of my MKH mic setups. I'm still working
on being entirely sure which setup is the best in some situations. It's
a endless business of fine tuning technique.

It makes me wonder about folks who are constantly changing equipment.