Noise reduction, portable phantom power and minidisc recording

Subject: Noise reduction, portable phantom power and minidisc recording
From: "artistico7" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:34:42 -0000
I've just recently got into recording - first of all instrument
sounds from my recorders and Native American flute, but will
gradually get into recording other sounds - particularly ambient
nature sounds, wind through trees, rain, the dawn chorus of birds,
etc. - for final mixes.

I've not looked through all posts yet, having been a member here
only for a few days, but early on there was some mention of
microphones and levels of self noise. Does anyone have experience in
how much the self noise of a mic can be reduced or even removed with
the correct sound software? Does any software package let you select
a piece of a recording showing only self noise and then remove the
corresponding sound from the entire wave file?

I have got decent results from an old Behringer XM2000 dynamic, but
feel that some of the finer nuances of the sound is lost, and I am
in the market for a microphone upgrade for both home recording and
ambient sound recording outdoors, meaning battery-driven condenser
will be most convenient. Music123 suggested an AKG C1000S II for
both purposes at a $200-$300 budget. Are there other good options
out there in that price range?

Or are there portable battery-driven phantom power supplies out
there that will give the crucial 48V to any microphone requiring
that, giving more possibilities for choice of microphone?

For away-from-home recording, I'm considering getting a consumer-end
minidisc recorder. Does anyone have experience with Sony's recent
1Gb Minidisc systems where sound can be recorded uncompressed? Do
these offer decent enough sound quality to put into a CD quality
mix? Are there better battery-driven units around that might be
worth considering, even at a higher cost?

Considering the size of Sony's Minidisc players and Apple's iPods,
does anyone know of a hard disk recorder of a similar size without
bells and whistles, just doing a simple 2-track "stereo" recording
for later transfer into a computer environment for editing? All the
portable hard disk recorders around seem to aim at the computerless
musicians on the go, whereas none are simple enough to be cheap for
just pure and simple recording purposes.

Many questions at once there, but I just had several that had been
churning in my mind for a while.

Hakon