Re: Noise reduction, portable phantom power and minidisc recording

Subject: Re: Noise reduction, portable phantom power and minidisc recording
From: "artistico7" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:58:48 -0000
--- In  "Terry King" <>
wrote:

> --- In  "artistico7"
> <> wrote:
> >  Does anyone have experience in
> > how much the self noise of a mic can be reduced or even removed
> with
> > the correct sound software? Does any software package let you
> select
> > a piece of a recording showing only self noise and then remove
the
> > corresponding sound from the entire wave file?
>
> Hakon, This is a feature provided by "CoolEdit Pro" which was
recently
> bought by Adobe and the current version is called "Adobe Audition".

Thanks, Terry.

I will definitely look it up again. I glanced a bit on a demo
version a while back, but didn't notice any sampled noise reduction.
Perhaps it's only in newer versions of the software package? If it
works well, that feature alone might be worth the entire $300,
although the microphones one might get for $300 may make me want to
reconsider...

In any case, I will be getting a lower-noise microphone. Noise
reduction will probably work better on the flute tracks than on
ambient sound recordings, so for the latter, I will definitely need
lower noise to start with.

> I find the 'sampled noise' approach works pretty well.  There are
some
> controls and you can listen to the results.  Very large amounts of
> noise reduction definitely leave some artifacts in the result.  But
> it's pretty amazing for some otherwise horrible buzzy-hum
recordings