Re: random equipment news

Subject: Re: random equipment news
From: "qukza" <>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:44:30 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>

See http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/sony_pr.html

> What drives the copyright thing is the recording industry itself
> through it's organizations, and it's supporters in government...

Sony is one of the principal companies represented by the RIAA. The
company has three people on the RIAA's board of directors.

> I'd not even count on a older format like CF being around.

Well, maybe. But CF cards are the cheapest and available in a wider
range of capacities than other solid state formats. And they are small
but not tiny.

> There are newer, better card formats.

Sony's Magicgate Memory Sticks? A lot of the new solid state memory
formats strike me as unnecessary.

> I don't see there being lots of good options for archiving. That
> area is getting much less reliable, not more so. Most of what's
> being recorded or photographed now will be gone long before the
> Civil War photographs. Or even film snapshots of 30 years ago.

I sort of agree although I suspect that a lot of snapshots of thirty
years aren't in great condition either (1970s Kodachrome or whatever).
Kodak Eastman has a good thing going with their Digital Ice
technology. Archiving is an interesting issue. Modern media durability
is limited but compared to the past replication is easy. So what's
more vulnerable over time? And what to keep? Do we really want to keep
every electronic bit that was ever generated? Maybe it's good that a
lot of stuff will just disappear.