Re: random equipment news

Subject: Re: random equipment news
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" <>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:28:39 -0700
on 5/26/04 5:51 AM, Walter Knapp at  wrote:

<major snip>

> Or just start the car without a battery. I had a friend who drove his
> car with a bad battery for two years, using it daily. Always park on a
> hill...

I can't remember Walt if your newer ranger has a manual transmission...or
just how new it is. The above technique doesn't work with many newer manual
transmissions. There is a 'safety mechanism' that allows the engine to start
only if the clutch is depressed...thus, you can roll the vehicle down a hill
in second (or any) gear and pop the clutch, only to have the safety switch
take effect and cut the engine...it's impossible to start it this way! At
least that's how it was on my '99 chevy pickup...damned annoying. I noticed
that at least some Toyotas had an override button to disable this..good
thinking!

In any case, to make this slightly more relevant to the group, test this
procedure before you actually need it!

Mark Phinney