Re: random equipment news

Subject: Re: random equipment news
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:36:10 -0400
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" <>

> I can't remember Walt if your newer ranger has a manual transmission...or
> just how new it is. The above technique doesn't work with many newer manual
> transmissions. There is a 'safety mechanism' that allows the engine to start
> only if the clutch is depressed...thus, you can roll the vehicle down a hill
> in second (or any) gear and pop the clutch, only to have the safety switch
> take effect and cut the engine...it's impossible to start it this way! At
> least that's how it was on my '99 chevy pickup...damned annoying. I noticed
> that at least some Toyotas had an override button to disable this..good
> thinking!
>
> In any case, to make this slightly more relevant to the group, test this
> procedure before you actually need it!

Nature recordists can go hunt something more on topic.

Yep, it works on my 2000 Ranger 4x4, (I checked today), of course it is
a manual transmission, my preference for economy and durability. It is
healthy and was warmed up so easy to start. And the battery was not bad.
But it will coast start. I will not comment on the automatic
transmission versions, don't know there.

Note that my 95 Ranger could be started that way too. Also a manual
transmission.

You do have to be sure the key is in and on, and there has to be enough
juice for the Pats module to read the code from the key in mine I think.
So a entirely flat battery is not going to do it. Come to think of it,
the car's computer has to have some juice too, or it won't produce the
spark impulse. But the clutch switch is tied into the starter motor
control, which would not be needed for a coast start, you would be in
run position on the key. In a pinch one of the Portadisc's battery pacs
might provide enough juice for the Pats and computer. Sorry I'm not
going to the trouble to try that! Just a thought.

Note also for anyone wishing to repeat this coast start experiment. It's
preferable to be king kong. Both the steering and brakes depend on the
engine running and are bloody hard to run without. Try using those
without power in some safe place first, not hurtling down a hill.

I'm a little surprised at the problem you report. If the car's
electronics is not powered except when the clutch is in when the key is
in run, how would it ever get you anywhere? Could it be more that you
were absolutely out of juice and the computer was not able to run? That
is a modern gotcha. Usually even after it won't crank there is enough to
run the computer.

Note I was not recommending living with a bad battery. But someone
suggested starting a car with baling wire and a cucumber. I'd try the
coast start first as the cucumber takes a long time to charge the
battery enough ;-)

Seriously, here's my recommended method, haul out the jumper cables and
hope some nice soul will stop and give you a jump. Especially around
here where there usually won't be a hill. Then don't turn it off until
you reach the battery store. I had that happen in the field with my '95
ranger. Start fine one minute, stop to listen to some frogs, next start
nothing at all, instant battery death. Luckily it was not the really
quiet roads and in about a hour someone came along.

Yes, the modern cars are very annoying. If the Ranger did not coast
start I have the full wiring diagrams, a minor mod to stick in a switch,
the clutch switch provides a alternative power path for the computer
when the ignition is in start only, not part of the run circuit there.
I've already modified the lighting the better to see frogs on the road.
Changed the wiring on the "frog" lights, which was a more elaborate mod
as the wiring still looks stock, and can be switched back in a moment if
I need to. I've got some other rewiring to do before I'm done. Note I
don't know if someone modified some of the wiring before I got it, but
no sign so far. People tend to turn pale when I mention modifying the
wiring. Don't try it without a full set of accurate wiring diagrams and
some thinking.

I'm glad I know a bit about my transportation. Nature recording takes me
out in some pretty rough territory. I can't say I'll always be able to
fix it, but I can at least try. I'm armed with both knowledge and a fair
toolkit. Just wish the car makers would quit conspiring to make it
harder. And also thankful for some of the modern improvements too.