Re: random equipment news

Subject: Re: random equipment news
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 13:06:47 -0400
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" <>

> Glad (and somewat surprised) to hear that the push start / clutch pop method
> is still possible in modern vehicles with manual transmission. I'm pretty
> sure it's impossible to do with an automatic.

It might be possible, if the hill is big enough or by towing. And if the
automatic transmission has a hydraulic pump on the output end. Takes a
lot more speed to coast start a automatic even if it can be done. Have
to overcome all that gas wasting slippage. Considering all the
electronic controls on modern automatic transmissions, it would be
problematic. Generally assume a automatic cannot be started except the
regular way unless you have tested it.

> I guess the test is to put the vehicle in gear, don't touch the clutch, and
> try to start it. If it lurches forward, then the clutch popping method WILL
> WORK. If it just sits there and does nothing until you depress the clutch,
> better hope for a Toyota-like over ride button....or carry a cucumber,
> portadisc, or spare battery!

My Ranger would fail to start in that test. It's got a clutch interlock.
So does my older one.

But that's not how you coast start. Key in run, don't turn it to start.
Put it in 2nd, or maybe 3rd gear, hold the clutch in, let off brakes.
(you might want to hold the gas down a little, depends on the vehicle)
Either build up speed down a hill, or have some very strong friends
pushing (tell them it's healthy aerobic exercise), or push/pull it with
another vehicle. When you get what you deem enough speed, let out the
clutch to spin the motor. (if pushing with another vehicle, run it up to
speed and back off with the pushing vehicle before trying to avoid
damage to the pusher) Should start. Though it's clear not all newer
vehicles will from what you are saying. For a field vehicle I'd be
really tempted to mod any that were not wired right. I always try to
stack the odds in my favor anywhere I can.

A simple test is to run the vehicle up to highway speed, push the clutch
in and turn the engine off. Now while you still have plenty of speed,
turn the key back to run and let out the clutch. If it starts, it will
coast start. Don't try this sort of thing where there is other traffic.
And do it where you won't need to make steering adjustments while off.

Note the only situation I'd be doing this sort of thing is if the
starter circuit or starter motor have died. Or I'm really isolated and
by some miracle on a suitable hill. Otherwise I'd use jumper cables.