Re: random equipment news

Subject: Re: random equipment news
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 08:51:49 -0400
From: "oryoki2000" <>

> 1.  The new Sony Hi-MD recorders are starting to trickle out into the
> distribution channel.  The MZ-NH600D is now available from Sony USA
> for $200 (and reportedly from some Target stores for $190).

Also available in ebay. For a bit less.

> Please note that the USA version of the NH600D lacks mic and line
> level inputs, so it's really a Hi-MD player, not recorder. The Hi-MD
> recorders with mic and line inputs are expected in July.

It also lacks a power input other than USB. Batteries only.

While they call what it does recording, it's more like file copying. I
don't think just putting a mic and line input on it is going to make it
a quality field recorder, but one can always hope.

My hope for the format is a new HHb Portadisc. Pro equipment for field
recording of original material. It's clear that consumer portables of
the future will be oriented mostly toward the individual song sales
market. Driven by copyright worries.

> 3. The Sound Devices 722 and 744T hard disc recorders are now expected
> to ship to retailers in July.  Retail price for the 722 has soared to
> $2,650, more than 30% higher than originally suggested. I suppose
> Sound Devices wants to be considered a cost-effective alternative to
> Nagra and Zaxcom rather than a better version of the Marantz 670 and
> Fostex FR-2.  The diminutive size and weight of the 722 is very
> appealing, despite the high price!

There is a brand new HHb Portadisc currently in the ebay auctions. For
people who want to do quality recording now, and for less money.

> Also related to the PMD670, prices for compactflash cards continue to
> come down.  For example, I bought a 512MB card from Amazon.com for $60
> recently. That's enough storage for 45 minutes of 16/48 (DAT quality)
> stereo recording, and the card is re-usable thousands of times.

HHb's premium 80 minute minidiscs are $2.39 in bulk. The cards have a
long, long way to go. If I was following my usual practice of archiving
the original recording on it's original medium, and using a PMD670, I'd
already have well more than the cost of another PMD670 tied up in this
years media, even at the new prices. Not well less than the cost of a
tank of gas as is the case in minidiscs. Come to think of it, soon the
cards will cost less than a tank of gas, and they don't even have to
lower their price.

> 6.  The folks at digitalcamerabattery.com have increased the capacity
> of their NiMH products without increasing the price, size or weight.
> For example, their 30W battery pack is upgraded to 40W, 60W to 80W,
> and so on.  Their web site is still being updated, so many of the
> pages there still refer to the old 30, 60, 90 and 120 watt products.

Or to put it another way, they are beginning to use the higher capacity
NIMH that those of us using AA's have used for several years. I find the
battery pac manufacturers are slow to keep up. At least these are using
NIMH, some manufacturers are still using Nicad cells.

> I know that there are members of this group who will scoff at buying a
>  commercial battery system.  I'm sure some of you can make a battery
> that will start a car from a cucumber, some salt and a piece of baling
> wire.

Or just start the car without a battery. I had a friend who drove his
car with a bad battery for two years, using it daily. Always park on a
hill...

> In my case, I'm willing to pay the price for a high quality,
> lightweight power solution that will provide uninterrupted recording
> all day long.  Not that I generate 10 hours of recorded material in a
> day.  Instead I keep the recorder on record/pause in promising
> habitat.  The 8 AA battery sleds used by recorders like the HHB
> Portadisc and Marantz PMD 670 last for 2 to 3 hours when used like
> this, and always seem to need changing right when you want to make a
> recording.  Also, it's important to change out the AA rechargeable
> batteries before drawing them down to zero power to avoid damaging
> them. So you have to keep a careful watch on the battery power meter.

I hardly pay attention to the battery indicator on the Portadisc. Never
a problem. I also take breaks during the day. 10 hours non-stop through
the brush is too much like work. Three hours plus on a sled is long
enough between breaks. Use the currently available max capacity AA's for
greater time.

I've nothing against the large battery pacs. Except they tend to have a
higher lifetime cost than individual cells. Of course it's extremely
easy to buy the solder tab high capacity cells and some shrink wrap and
make pacs for much less.

> I find it very convenient to have a single reliable power source for
> the day.  The 80 watt battery supports more than 3 days' worth of
> recording, so it's a good choice for those wilderness recording trips
> where you won't be able to recharge from mains power overnight.

There are solutions for long field forays, this is one. A little
research will find others.