RE: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings

Subject: RE: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings
From: "Graham M Smith" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 18:13:32 -0000
Walter,

> I don't know if it's the same people, but by hooking up a deck to the
> computer like I have, it's virtually seamless to grab the samples as I
> found them and do the analysis on the spot. I don't have that kind of
> hours of samples, so usually listen as transferring, that's my first sort
> of what's in the recording, not time wasted. And then any playing after
> that I'll likely have a sonogram running so I can hear and see what's
> going on.

Yes, this is a good approach, and is the way I think I would like to go. We
ended up doing everything at the last minute, and circumstances forced us t=
adopt an approach, which would not be my long term way of doing it.

> > Is this the same deck as Aaron mentioned: the Sony MDH-10, or are there
> > alternatives to this.
>
> The one Aaron mentioned is a way out of production data drive that can
> read the audio disks.

This explains why the company that Aaron suggested is advertising to buy
them.

> I really think that copying all that large amount of recording into the
> computer is not the way to go.

Yes, I agree with this now, the approach you have outlined is far more
practical. However, a voice activated MD also has possibilities, so we woul=
only record sound, rather than the hours of blank tape that we are recordin=
now.

> Best if you have people who can do the selective transfers on the fly as
> they listen. That is unless you can come up with computer software
> that's reliable enough at doing the original analysis. Even there it
> might do that without transferring.

The Sonabat software seems to have a facility to search through the
recording and extract the sound parts. At least it seems to do this.

> It's going to be way outside what the Juke box was designed for. Bet
> something won't work right for that use.

I think that with the new MDs on the way, then this has got to be the way t=
go for me now.

Many thanks for your useful comments.

Graham