RE: Re: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings

Subject: RE: Re: Minidisk data transfer and bat recordings
From: "Graham M Smith" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:00:22 -0000
Oryoki

> This third point has a couple of practical problems.  Minidisk specs
> limit the number of tracks to 255 per disc.

On the data that I have here, bat events ranged between 5 and 274 in a 10
hour period. What I don't know is how many non-bat sound events occurred
that were ignored when manually analysing the MD, but which would of course
have triggered a track in the field if we were using the syncro recording
method.

> The second practical problem is that current Sony recorders will
> do "Synchro" recording via the optical digital input only.  So you'd
> need an analog to digital converter between the bat detector and the
> recorder, such as the Denecke AD-20 ($325).  This adds significantly
> to the liklihood that there would be some cabling or battery snafu.
> But "synchro" recording would greatly improve the efficiency of the
> data analysis.

I agree with this, and I shall look at the model you mention, it adds
considerably to each sampling stations costs, but would substantially reduc=
lab time so should pay for itself

>And Sharp recorders lack the date and time stamp on
> each track.  That information might be important in subsequent
> analysis.

Yes, it is important, but I was under the impression that some Sharp
recorders did offer date and time stamps only because I read somewhere a
statement that said "not all Sharp Minidisk recorders offer time and date
stamps" . The implication being that some do.

Thanks for this, it adds to my options and understanding.

Graham