Re: Brain Filters and the price of MDs

Subject: Re: Brain Filters and the price of MDs
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:11:15 -0400
a_kirchgessner wrote:
> Walter,
>
> One of the (few, so far) experiments in field recording with a
> parabolic mic that I have tried is the placement of the stereo mics
> within the dish. Placing them close together at the focal point
> versus separating them along different axes has yielded surprising
> results. As a user of a parabolic mic, the question I am pondering is:
> how much of a loss in pick-up can I tolerate to achieve a greater
> stereo effect? I'm looking forward to the answer, but the experience
> gained in the experimentation is the true reward here for me.

I use the Telinga Pro V with the stereo mic element they design for it.
I also have the mono dual science element, which I rarely use. Between
those two I find little difference in sensitivity. This may be due to
the stereo mic setup being a boundary mic design. In any case I've seen
no reason to loose stereo to gain sensitivity. Faint sounds is where
stereo really helps.

Note that the Telinga's stereo is a mix of local and far field. I kind
of view it's field as being pear shaped, with the stem being the far
reach in center.

There was considerable stir in the group a little while back on stereo
parabolics. My feeling is that optimizing a stereo pickup in a parabolic
is a little more challenge than optimizing two mics without a reflector.
But it's well worth it.

I've got a few ideas to try when I get some time. Requires some
machining to do.