Brain Filters and the price of MDs

Subject: Brain Filters and the price of MDs
From: "Greg Winterflood" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:57:30 -0000
--- In  Walter Knapp <>
wrote:
> I would love to have a sound filter for my recordings as capable
as our
> brains at ignoring unwanted sound. It's not only a revelation how
much
> more we start to hear when getting into recording, but also a bane.

At present my field is my backyard, and even inside the house I hear
calls all day long.  Since beginning recording my ears are now
acutely tuned to the activity outside.=20

It's spring here and the trees are full of birdsong.  It's getting
such that I wish I had a brain filter to block birdcalls.  Every
time I hear a perfect full length paragraph of song, with all the
sentences the birds utter separately included in it, I get a feeling
of disappointment.  The reason being that I haven't yet managed to
make the perfect recording of the perfect paragraph!!

On the subject of 'the perfect recorder' I just had a look at the
HHb Website in the UK.  The picture of the MDP500 Portadisc has 695
UKPounds beside it.  This is about $1700 Australian, which would
seem to compare well to the price of the Sony 'top of the range
NetMD' which is near $800, in the stores in downtown Alice Springs.

Greg

Having a morning off, at home in Alice Springs, Northern Territory,
Australia