Re: Re: latest iPod firmware can record via mic

Subject: Re: Re: latest iPod firmware can record via mic
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:15:00 -0400
luese wrote:
> I was about to buy a Minidisk for a first experience in recording.
> But if iPOD can record via mic can anybody tell me if the record is
> comparable in quality and which of the two options is the best? I
> think that with iPOD is easier to upload digital music to the PC (the
> UBS port of the MD is blocked) but is the quality the same?

Go out and buy a raw hard disk. Now design and wrap a recorder around
it. The function of the iPod for recording is to store the files on it's
hard disk, it does little more. It will need a full field recorder
around it. The sound quality will depend on that recorder. It's a
meaningless question about the sound quality of the files you store on
it. They can be any quality level.

In this case we have, I think, one option for the recorder. Records in
mono, voice quality, useful for Mr Businessman to record notes,
conference table talk, etc. Not at all a quality field recorder. If some
confused soul decides he can make money putting out a pro recorder add
on then it's possible, but does not exist now.

On the other hand, in MD you can find recorders from that level all the
way up to pro field recorders like the HHb Portadisc, which records at a
very high quality standard. A recorder designed from the ground up as a
field recorder. Choose your price and quality level, at the upper end
you are at the limits of the abilities of high end mics.

Incidentally, the Portadisc has USB audio I/O. I believe you are talking
about the copy protection system built into some MD's called NetMD,
which has a USB connection to transfer the copy protected songs you buy
to the MD. NetMD is of little use if not antagonistic to someone who is
making original recordings. I strongly recommend not going with one of
the NetMD models.

Getting your recording into your computer is the easy and quick part,
even if done in realtime. The time will be spent getting the quality
recording in the first place. Choice of equipment has a big influence on
the recording process, it's simply not a quality or no quality question,
there is a huge amount more to it. It's a entire system to consider, one
designed to work well as a unit. You will record more with a well
designed system as it's easier to get good stuff.