Re: Brain Filters and the price of MDs

Subject: Re: Brain Filters and the price of MDs
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:29:08 -0400
Greg Winterflood wrote:

> --- In  Walter Knapp <>
> wrote:
>
>>I would love to have a sound filter for my recordings as capable
>
> as our
>
>>brains at ignoring unwanted sound. It's not only a revelation how
>
> much
>
>>more we start to hear when getting into recording, but also a bane.
>
>=20
> At present my field is my backyard, and even inside the house I hear
> calls all day long.  Since beginning recording my ears are now
> acutely tuned to the activity outside.=20
>
> It's spring here and the trees are full of birdsong.  It's getting
> such that I wish I had a brain filter to block birdcalls.  Every
> time I hear a perfect full length paragraph of song, with all the
> sentences the birds utter separately included in it, I get a feeling
> of disappointment.  The reason being that I haven't yet managed to
> make the perfect recording of the perfect paragraph!!

This is what keeps folks recording. Always some better recording you can
do. Some new sound you hear.

I'm a field biologist, so was always in tune with what was around me.
But I can see how folks who were less into the field work would pick up
a whole new perspective.

> On the subject of 'the perfect recorder' I just had a look at the
> HHb Website in the UK.  The picture of the MDP500 Portadisc has 695
> UKPounds beside it.  This is about $1700 Australian, which would
> seem to compare well to the price of the Sony 'top of the range
> NetMD' which is near $800, in the stores in downtown Alice Springs.

I don't think there is such a thing as a absolutely perfect recorder. I
use the Portadisc, but can think of improvements for it.

It's definitely a excellent field recorder, a very large step (or two or
three...) above the NetMD recorders. I don't expect to need to get a new
recorder for some while now. Definitely don't regret spending the money.
Let others run after the "latest and greatest", I'm into hunting those
perfect paragraphs, if not whole books. My recorder is up to it.