Re: Brain Filters and the price of MDs

Subject: Re: Brain Filters and the price of MDs
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:20:50 +0200
In 1982 I made an experiment:

I recorded a Redwing in AB stereo:
In the background you could easily hear traffic sounds from the city and
airplanes from the airport.

When people were presented the recording in stereo, with headphones, they
all looked happy, smiling, saying things like "it is so natural, how can yo=
do this?"
Nobody commented the traffic sounds.

When presented the recording in mono (one of the omnis) people didn't look
as happy, no smile, but they said things like "it is very good quality".

When the recording was low frequency filtered, they all said things like "i=
is a pity that one can hear so much traffic noise.

So, in mono, when filtered, people took more notice of the traffic. I
concluded that mono doesn't trigger the "brain filters" good enough,
especially not when you have manipulated the mono sound.

In 1995, I made a stereo recording (Telinga PRO5 + stere DATmic) of a Robin
sitting on a car antenna at Trafalgar Square, in the middle of London
afternoon traffic.
That is not a recording of a Robin, and should not be judged as a "very
noisy recording of a Robin." It is a recording of "a Robin at Trafalgar
Square traffic jam," and the traffic sounds are not noise, but part of the
recording.

Klas.