Re: SASS (again)

Subject: Re: SASS (again)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:16:23 -0500
bobbaub  wrote:
> Ah, yes...that is more like a block diagram.  Also...that diagram
> comes with the SASS when you buy it.  I was looking for something
> with component values.  Thanks anyway.  I'm wondering if Crown(or
> someone) ever made a "low noise" PZM capsule, doubtful though eh?=20
>
> My idea of recording nature is recording outdoor ambience.  I really
> love to do this but I guess I was asking for trouble when I decided
> to buy the SASS.  I know many of you are saying "check-out Lang's
> mod".  I have but i'ts really not what I have in mind.(though it must
> sound great)!=20
>
> I am also open to any suggestions concerning buying a stereo
> microphone setup for this type of application.  When I record with my
> SASS I am forced to crack up the gain and proportionally the noise
> floor.  I then have to spend hours de-noising the whole program.=20
> This of course is senseless.  I LOVE stereo recording and love the
> PZM principal as well, so I didn't want to give up on the mic and
> avoid destroying it.

I'm of the opinion if you like the sort of soundfield you are getting
with the SASS, except for the unwanted noise, then the best bet is the
mod. Not much else will give you that wide expansive soundfield.

What crown used to do for a low noise version was supply the housing all
set up to fit a pair of DPA 4006 omni's, which you supplied. Lang tried
that, but did not like the sound of the noise floor for those. He then
modified one of the SASS-B's to mount MKH-20's in it and has been using
that successfully for a while now. Meantime, crown has discontinued the
SASS-B. So the low noise version has become a do it yourself sort of thing.

The solution is to buy the housing as a part from their parts department
and make your own modifications. I've done exactly that, making one
that's using a pair of MKH-110 omni's, and a second one using the
MKH-20's. In case you were unaware, there are photos and samples:
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/sass_mkh110.html
http://frogrecordist.home.mindspring.com/docs/sass_mkh-20.html

Also see my recent post of a set of samples recorded at a couple sites
that include these two mics with others.

I have one of the Crown SASS-P MKII's. I agree, for ambient nature
recording it suffers from too much noise, both from handling and from
the electret capsules it uses. I don't think this can be fixed fiddling
with the internal electronics. It's a good mic if recording from loud
enough soundfields to cover the noise floor.

You don't have to cut up your SASS. You would only have to buy the
housing which is something like $25 and do the mod on that part, making
a few custom pieces. Everything else from your unmodified SASS would be
the same. (except the mod SASS won't fit in the case cutout because of
the mics sticking out the back.) Of course you do have to come up with
some low noise mics, which is the hard part.

Other choices all involve finding low noise mics that work well in field
recording. That's the key. If you don't want to go with a mod SASS, then
study the other stereo options, then find the mics to do them. This
usually comes down to the same relatively small set of mics. In other
words if I was choosing, for instance, some stereo setup that needed two
omni's, the mic choice would be the same as for the mod SASS, the
MKH-20's or, in my case because I have them, the MKH-110's. There are a
number of other mics with low noise that could be investigated, but for
the most part have no track record for nature recording. Depending on
just how much you want to cut noise levels, ME mics are a less costly
option, and those do have a track record for nature recording.

For relatively easy portability while set up, M/S stereo setups are
interesting. I put up some samples from those as well. I'm not sure you
can get as wide a soundfield out of them as the SASS. Need to do more
experimenting. The unfortunate thing about M/S is that the essential
figure 8 mic is usually only found in a manufacturer's top line. There
are also some pretty low noise all in one M/S mics, at pretty high
prices for the good ones.

You might can get a slightly better recording off the SASS original by
running it through something like the Sound Devices MP2 and carefully
balancing the gain of the MP2 with that of your recorder. I somehow
don't think that would be worth it unless you already had a MP2. You are
primarily trying to avoid recorder self noise when you do this.

Quiet ambiance is one of the most demanding recording situations at the
mic end. You can do so little filtering without destroying what you were
recording.

You did not say, but if you are heading for the low noise end of things
be sure your recorder is not part of the problem. Most portable
recorders are somewhat noisy if the gain is pegged out. Using something
like the MP2 pre can help to avoid this. And, of course, moving up to a
higher spec recorder helps. You have to keep balancing mic and recorder
quality for highest quality results.