Re: SASS (again)

Subject: Re: SASS (again)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:55:48 -0500
Rich Peet  wrote:

> The sass in stock configuration is a good ambience mic if you have a
> target with a good signal.
>
> The upgrades talked about here for the sass are only important for
> faint signal recording.

I personally think that even with good signal it would annoy me a lot.
It's much more sensitive to handling noise than my modified SASS. It
should be ok mounted on a stand with the cables carefully bound in
place. But I found it very untrustworthy hand held.

Of course maybe I have a bad one. But it does sound ok when I can avoid
handling noise.

> a ME-62 can not be used in pzm configuration in a sass because of the
> side slots and should not be attempted.

In the SASS as I build it, those side slots would be sealed off from
sound by O-ring seals and 1/4" of delrin. I've not tried a ME-62, but a
MKH-40, which is both a cardioid when out free and has side slots works
quite well in the SASS.

> A MKH-110 can be disassembled and built into a sass and the switch
> rewired so that a choice can be made between the 110,  or the stock
> mics which are very nice and flat on louder signals and very wind
> resistant.

I agree, this could be done, using the same offset in the opposite
direction on the boundary surface. Might get a little fiddly producing
some protection for the diaphragm, And you would have to disconnect the
capsule from the electronics, making the seal mount in the back of the
boundary tricky. When taking apart the MKH110 watch out to not damage
the hair thickness capillary in the back of the capsule. That's
essential to it's frequency response according to a talk given by
Sennheiser. And, since you would be changing things in the middle of the
RF circuit, you might also run into trouble that way. RF circuits don't
tolerate dimensional changes well. At minimum you would have to figure
out the tuning process for the RF.

Personally I think it might be more sensible to redo Crown's circuits
and backplate and mount the MKH110 unmodified to have a hybrid. It's
less work. In either case it should be realized that this mod is not
reversible for the original mic housing, you have to bore holes through
the boundary surfaces. You would have to buy a new housing to reverse it.

> I don't think that Bob is the proper victim to test the rode mic on.
> We need someone who hits the trade shows to test drive this.

I agree, and I told him so. What we need is someone who can get review
samples. Beginners should try and stick with known stuff.