Re: SASS (again)

Subject: Re: SASS (again)
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:31:09 -0600
>Walter,
>
>I really appreciate your input to my recent post.  I have considered
>getting the Sound Devices MP2 but I should probably focus on
>analysing where the noise really resides in my system.  Here's what I
>have:
>
>Tasam DA-P1
>Crown SASS
>(2) 3' Monster Cables
>
>A simple and mobile unit.  I need to start seriously troubleshooting
>the recorder and mic.  Maybe the preamps on the Tascam are not good
>enough?
>
>Is there such a thing as "low noise" PZM capsules?  What are some
>good recomendations for the Sennheiser MKH & ME lines?  I've spent
>quite a bit of money already but probably nothing compared to
>everybody else so I'm trying to go as cheap as possible.
>Remember "ambience recording" is what I love to do best.
>
>boB

Hi Bob-

I use a DAP1 quite often and have the same weakness for air. The SASS
has 20-23dBA inherent noise which, spec-wise, is more than the mic
pre on the DAP1.  That said, with an MP2 mic pre or similar, you'll
by pass the mic DAP1 mic pre and go balanced line in. This shouldn't
do much, but in reality, I' get significantly less noise the Crown
PZM's when I insert the MP2. Go figuire. An good mic pre is a good
investment because it can help just about any mic you get down the
line and make a low cost recorder sing. Sounds like you're a
candidate for a SASS mod.
Best
Rob D.