Re: SASS (again)

Subject: Re: SASS (again)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:57:06 -0500
bobbaub  wrote:
> Walter,
>
> I really appreciate your input to my recent post.  I have considered
> getting the Sound Devices MP2 but I should probably focus on
> analysing where the noise really resides in my system.  Here's what I
> have:
>
> Tasam DA-P1
> Crown SASS
> (2) 3' Monster Cables
>
> A simple and mobile unit.  I need to start seriously troubleshooting
> the recorder and mic.  Maybe the preamps on the Tascam are not good
> enough?

I've not used a DA-P1, so have no direct experience. It has been
variously reported that it's pre's are noisy. And also that it's phantom
power can introduce noise.

If you have been using the SASS with phantom power from the DA-P1, try
some batteries in the SASS to find out if the DA-P1's phantom power was
your problem.

You also might try recording with the DA-P1 with no mic at various gain
settings. It does not give a true picture of the pre under load, but
will expose some problems.

If you can borrow a low noise mic, you will get a lot more info about
the quality of the DA-P1's pre.

If most of the unwanted noise is coming from the DA-P1, then the MP2 may
be the cheapest way out. It can supply both the phantom power, and
bypass the DA-P1's pre's. At the annoyance of another lump to cart about.

I doubt that the cables are the problem. I use Canare Star Quad cable
with the high quality end of neutric XLR connectors. The monster cables
won't be near as good a quality, but nature recording is not that
demanding, particularly in short lengths like that. If you are getting a
lot of handling noise off the cables, a longer length might help. The
original SASS I have is fantastically sensitive to cable noise, a real
problem. A section of thin, cloth covered cable near the SASS might help.

I should point out that the MP2 I have I got as one that had been bought
and returned unused, and paid $490. Took me several months of looking to
find one that low.

> Is there such a thing as "low noise" PZM capsules?  What are some
> good recomendations for the Sennheiser MKH & ME lines?  I've spent
> quite a bit of money already but probably nothing compared to
> everybody else so I'm trying to go as cheap as possible.

Crown, who dominate PZM (in fact they own that name), use relatively
noisy capsules across their line.

Low noise is generally associated with larger mics than are used for
PZM. For most uses low noise is not as big a issue as it is for us, so
there is not a lot of pressure for Crown to develop low noise versions.

Note I've tested the modified SASS with and without PZM covers on the
mics. The PZM covers make the sound worse. They do best as boundary mics
where the diaphragm is on the same plane as the boundary. And definitely
beat the standard SASS with it's PZM mics.

The first part of choosing a mic is choosing type. In the MKH & ME
current lineup there is one omni, one cardiod etc. in each line. So, if
choosing a omni pattern (for the SASS or spaced omni setups) you would
use either the MKH-20 or the ME-62. The MKH-20 has a self noise of
10dBA, the ME-62 a self noise of 15dBA. Your SASS is a self noise of
about 20dBA. The MKH-20 will cost you about $1200 each, or, if you are
lucky off ebay about half that used, each. The ME-62 is about half that
price, or maybe less.

If you decided to do a X/Y cardioid stereo, you would be looking at a
MKH-40 or ME-64. Again the price is about the same ratio between and
there is a similar noise spec, a dB or two above the omni's. Off ebay
MKH-40's don't go for as much as 20's. Sometimes as low as $400. But you
have to have lots of time to watch.

There is a cardioid that's got really interesting specs, self noise of
5dBA. It's a unknown for nature recording, is a studio mic big and
bulky, would virtually require a stand I think, and a side mic, but it's
price is about $200. It's a risk to try it but might be a real find.
It's the Rode NT1A. Note I'm not recommending it to you, but pointing
out there are some other choices floating about.

Note as a rule omni's are the least sensitive to handling and wind noise
compared to the directional mics. In practice what it takes to deal with
those differs little between omnis and others.

Note one pattern you will not find in the ME series is the figure 8 mic.
This is the necessary mic for M/S stereo, so if considering that, you
are into MKH mics, which have the MKH-30 with is a figure 8 mic and the
MKH-80 and MKH-800 both multipattern mics that can be set to figure 8.
That's how I ended up committing to MKH mics.

Note the other thing you need to clear up is if you are simply trying to
record something that's too distant for your mic. This is a common
problem for those beginning in nature recording. And the usual symptom
is that you are cranking the gain to full and still getting weak
recordings. Most stereo systems are limited as to range to relatively
close things. If you are trying to get stuff from way out there, you may
find a Telinga with DAT Stereo mic a more satisfying choice. Or even
spot recording at various locations and getting into mixing your stereo.
Which is a tough game.

If it's close enough to get a good enough sound input, even the original
SASS will work well. It takes time to learn how to use a mic. You may
just need to learn your limitations with it.

 > Remember "ambience recording" is what I love to do best.

I like it too. But it's costly to do if you are real picky about sound
quality.

You might find Bernie Krause's "Wild Soundscapes" book interesting to
read. Not so much for equipment recommendations, but for ideas.