Re: Some mic samples

Subject: Re: Some mic samples
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:48:55 -0500
Barb Beck wrote:
> Earthlink has their part of their list  incorrect.  Ours is one of them a=
nd
> inspite of complaints at least from us from November.  The list they are
> dealing with is invalid for some areas.  If I had a dialup modem it would
> not complain.  Basically they do not care when they have blocked off some
> legitimate properly configured users and are not worried about doing
> something about it.  I have six people I correspond with that are with
> earhthlink and have the problem.
>
> I may try to badger Bob when he has some time (which he never does) to ha=
ck
> a solution but remember if Bob can hack a solution which allows me to loo=
> legit to them when they think I am bogus it means that hackers can do the
> same and there goes your spam protection that is causing the problem in t=
he
> first place because it is not properly maintained.

If you are talking about their spam catching software, which is not
earthlink, but contracted from elsewhere by the look of it, I just went
in and turned it off for my email address. I also checked what it was
catching, nothing other than quite obvious spam.

It now gives me the message all spam protection is off. Try a email, if
it bounces, it's not the spam filter.

And the hackers are perfectly welcome to try. My computer connection is
in full stealth mode. They won't even be able to find that there is a
computer connected. I had a lot of fun touring all the testing websites
recently. Most fun that they all gave messages that it was amazing that
a PC could be so hacker proof. Of course all those sites were for
windows, no equivalent sites for macs. A straight mac will give away
it's presence, but keep it's ports closed. I've a whole extra layer so
it won't even respond to unexpected query's, part of my routing
software. Though we did find some security holes in OSX where it left a
few ports open if you were not careful.  Even with a open port it's
likely you are safe, because the hacker will probably send software
intended to take over windows.