Re: Some mic samples

Subject: Re: Some mic samples
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:06:45 -0500
Rob Danielson wrote:
> Hi Walter--
>
> The mkh-20's in SASS! Of course. Easier for stationary field
> applications than A/B.  I'll have to track down that link you posted
> with how to order just the SASS housing.

It was Lang that posted the list of SASS parts:
http://www.naturesound.com/sass/sass.html

I make the modified housing on a 7x12 mini lathe. Turn delrin supports,
  cut internal grooves in them for Oring supports, then bore the aligned
holes in the SASS housing and back cover (just a piece of 3/16 ABS)
using a support I attach to the power carriage and the tools in the
lathe chuck. Then bolt the supports to the front face with 1-72 screws.
I've been meaning to do something about photos of how it's made. The
MKH20 one shown is my current design, the MKH110 one was my first try,
I'm in the process or changing it to the current design.

> Barred Owl: 3 secs in on
> B.SASS.MKH20.mp3
> left channel.

Found him, what sharp ears you have. I checked by sonogram, and the call
is actually centered on 6 secs and is on both channels, though stronger
in the left. Interesting it's slightly easier to hear in the mp3
compared to the original aiff. He was not something that was noticeable
by ear out there as I remember. There was another that was closer that
occasionally called off behind me, but I don't think ended up on any of
the recordings.

I have had a discussion with another member on this. We were out
together and he was hearing all the faint birdcalls and I was hearing
all the faint frogcalls. All in what your mind is looking for.

> Thanks a again for your thoroughness, great tests, should be a
> permanent page along with links to the rig pictures,. SASS,.. a great
> resource all together.

I have a few recordings from the SASS on the MKH-110 page. I'll probably
change what's there soon with some of the newer stuff.

I have fairly limited webspace available, so don't have room to keep
everything I'd like up. As I noted those samples will have to give up
their space to something else. Probably more samples.

> Are you going to pick up a pair of the Rode NT1A's cardioid
> condensers with 5dB inherent noise? Not really suited perfectly for
> frog ponds but at $200 each,.. possibly a key addition to the low
> noise on a budget site?

Have you looked at those? Big, side pickup studio mics. Forget the SASS,
and effective windscreens would be interesting. I've a pair of Marshalls
that are shaped like that. Have not figured out a good windscreen system
for them yet. I am interested in how a pair of large diaphragm mics
might do at this.

The Rode's are something that someone should try. Figure out all those
questions about field use. I have no plans to be the one, however. If
they turned up on ebay at the usual half price ratio, I might be tempted.

Rode appears to be using a newer design for the mic electronics. I think
that's how they are doing so well on noise.