Re: Some mic samples

Subject: Re: Some mic samples
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:40:34 -0500
Walt:

nice selection of examples. I presume that the variation in background noise
between recordings is mostly due to variations in traffic, rather than due
to the mike setups themselves.

Lang

Here's some mic samples from my foray last week. I took the trouble to
work several mics on a couple sites. All samples are raw, just the bass
cutoff, and with the MS setups decoded to stereo. File sizes vary from
323k to 429k, total of all 11 files is 4 megs. I make no claim this is
the best these setups can do, except for the Telinga I'm still getting
used to them. And, of course mp3 encoding will take away a little. There
is certainly plenty more variation of the stereo for the M/S setups.

First site is a flooded ditch that runs perpendicular to the road out
for 50 yards or so. A house (and it's dog) is 100 yards out. Behind me
are various manmade noises in the distance and some spring peepers
across the road. In the ditch in front of me there are Southern Chorus
Frogs, most are fairly close. And a few half hearted Southern Leopard Frogs.

The mics for first site:

Telinga Pro V with DAT Stereo mic element. Plugged into the HHb
Portadisc direct. Input attenuation set at -15dB.
http://loscan.home.mindspring.com/S.Telinga.DATStereo.mp3

M/S MKH-30/40 with Sennheiser suspension and zeppelin, no furry cover.