Re: Some mic samples

Subject: Re: Some mic samples
From: Dave <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:53:12 -0500
Walt,
I was very impressed with the samples you posted and really appreciate the
efforts you had to put in to gathering them....thanks! I listened to them o=
my nearfield monitors last night and was immediately struck by the
difference between the parabola capture and the m/s capture. I'm mostly a
lurker here and might have missed the discussion that led up to your
posting, but can you tell me how you (and others here on the list) decide
when to use the dish instead of the m/s rig? The first BIG difference I
noticed was the enveloping sense of 3-D sound that the m/s rig conveyed. Th=
imaging and depth of the Telinga was very convincing, but when I listened t=
the second of these two selections:

> Telinga Pro V with DAT Stereo mic element. Plugged into the HHb
> Portadisc direct. Input attenuation set at -15dB.
> http://loscan.home.mindspring.com/S.Telinga.DATStereo.mp3
>
> M/S MKH-30/40 with Sennheiser suspension and zeppelin, no furry cover.
> Powered by and plugged direct into the HHb Portadisc:
> http://loscan.home.mindspring.com/S.MS.MKH30-40.mp3

....I could close my eyes and the soundfield had extended past the speaker
box and stretched to a point somewhere beyond the outside edges of the
speaker cabinets. When I heard this effect, it brought up the following
question: When faced with a sound environment such as this location, how do
you decide which mic configuration to use? Is it mostly a function of
getting rid of noises that are behind you (which the Telinga seems to block
out)? Or is it a question of "gain"? For instance, can you remember what
kind of readings you were getting from your meters between these two
configurations? Finally, being the newbie that I am, I am always struggling
with how to set my levels in a quiet environment such as the one you
recorded. How much activity ARE you seeing on your meters when recording a
setting such as this? Does the Telinga rig automatically increase the gain
available at the input of the Portadisc?

Thanks again for the samples.

dave morrison