Re: Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching

Subject: Re: Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:44:38 -0500
zplazm  wrote:
> the ME-62, ECM-ms957, and nt3 ... sound like fantastic microphones...
> I've just found out that the MZ-R37 minidisc, as part of cost saving
> features has hat the -20 shelf ommited on the mic normaliser, which
> would have been useful for very loud sounds. i expect that the loud
> nt3 on battery would not be that astoundingly loud as to brickwall
> given mz-r37's lack of a -20 shelf normaliser level, would it? maybe
> i should look for a sharp (with the 24 bits of encoding, yummy) with
> some defects on ebay...mt15 soudns pretty excellent budget gear.

Since to use any of these mics except the Sony you will need to buy or
make a adapter cord, you could build in attenuation into the cord if
necessary. Depending on what you record and which mic you may find it's
not really necessary. I recorded for years with a Sony MZ-R30, which had
the switch, but rarely switched it to the low setting.

All current ATRAC encoding is 24 bit. Though this is only in the
internal processing. It still records 16 bit, but uses bit shifting to
effectively carry through 24 bit. Sony invented this, Sharp copied it
after Sony brought it out. So, it's not unique to the Sharp recorders.

> I'll be really happy to DiY some fluffy material and nylon to make
> wind sheilds and splash guards... (maybe i could make a party suit
> too?)

Study the designs before making. It's not just some material around the
mic, there are designs that work. It's definitely a place where you can
save money.

> there are wonderful places for sound collecting near my house,
> abandoned housing full of gypsy junk, nature reserves, town... this
> is great i'm getting closer. today i sampled a tennis ball bouncing
> down some steps with marvellous rythm and warm wood plank sounds, and
> some cows mooing their head off very loud... and sheep... i'd
> definately do as much ninja nighttime recording as possible too.
>
> I guess i'll use the md preamp, and may try mono to begin, because
> eventually i'll apply lots of panning and stereo delay DSP on
> recorded material.

I think you are going to find that natural environments are not near as
easy to make sound well in this manner.

If you get a pure mono mic and later want stereo, it will require a new
mic. A nt3 pair mixed to mono may work fairly well, if it's been used in
coincident (X-Y) configuration and of course you can use one of them.
The M/S system in the sony mixes perfectly to mono, so you get both mics
in one.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:23:13 2005
Message: 12