Bird Sound Archive

Subject: Bird Sound Archive
From: Luciano Nicolas Naka - DCEC <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:38:02 +0400 (AMT)
Fellow naturecordists,

Following directions, I would like to present myself as a new member of the=

group. My name is Luciano Nicol=E1s Naka and I live in Manaus, Brazil. I am=

an ornithologist interested and based in the Neotropics. Nowadays, my main=

research activities are based in the Amazon, where I have been recording
bird sounds actively for the last 4 years. Apart from presenting myself, I=

do badly need some guidelines concerning archiving bird sounds (a topic
that I am sure has been exposed before; Sorry!).

I am presently working at the Ornithological Collection of the Brazilian
Institute for Research in the Amazon (INPA) with Mario Cohn-Haft, and we
are about to start working in the implementation of an archive of Natural
Sounds.
We have a large number of personal tape recordings taken from all over the=

Amazon, and we want to have all these recordings available in an archive,
with all the info in a database and actually available to other
Institutions/researchers. Our first approach would be, after digitalizing
the sound, to store it in cds.

Of course, we want to do things right from the very beginning, and a number=

of questions rose, concerning the implementation of a useful Archive. Among=

these questions are the following, and we would love and appreciate any
feedback on the subject.

We have Cool Edit, and we were thinking of using it as our software.
Anything wrong with that?? Is there any other software available that is
better than Cool Edit for PCs?

Is there any serious equipment that we may need for the task, or a good PC=

with a cd burner should be enough? Would it be wise to invest in some
serious equipment before starting digitalizing the sound? For ex., is there=

any need of a special sound card?

Well, these are only some of the questions, but I am sure a lot more will
rise soon.
Please, feel free to comment and give any advise on these and other topics.
Looking forward to hear any eco,

                                        Luciano

Luciano Nicol=E1s Naka
Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amaz=F4nia
Curadoria de Aves =96 Cole=E7=F5es Zool=F3gicas.