Re: Fwd: Re: Bird Sound Archive

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Bird Sound Archive
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:16:23 -0500
Charles Bragg wrote:
> At 04:57 PM 1/21/2003 -0500, Walter Knapp wrote:
>

>>Which brings us to backup, be extremely paranoid about
>>computers. Have lots of backup, in more than one site. A multi year
>>database is a lot of work to reconstruct.
>

 >         You said it. In all my years giving people advice (free and
otherwise) about backups, I have yet to see anyone take it seriously
until they suffer a crash and the db goes bye-bye. I include myself in
this group. Just in case one of the readers here will take this advice
seriously *before* having a problem - back it up, use serial backups,
verify the backups (it really hurts when the backup is corrupted
DAMHIKT), and put them in a place where the earthquake/fire/flood can't
reach both the originals and the backups.

And then back it up again, it's almost as bad to have a out of date
backup. And don't forget backing up the audio or photographs the
database is about.

I agree, it seems that being personally burned is the only lesson that
takes. I once got three layers deep in my backups before finding one
that worked right. (I still had two more layers to go) So, yes, check
the backups too.