Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching

Subject: Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching
From: "zplazm <>" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 09:50:04 -0000
ahha, on the cusp of success, i think: hey there are portable mixers
that run on batteries and that provide stereo phantom power, mixing
for using several cheap mics, and hopefully: an amp for using a line
in !!! i was looking at portastudios and things but an old mixer
could turn me into a parvarotti.
wow that would be good :D

> zplazm  wrote:
> > the ME-62, ECM-ms957, and nt3 ... sound like fantastic
microphones...
> > I've just found out that the MZ-R37 minidisc, as part of cost
saving
> > features has hat the -20 shelf ommited on the mic normaliser,
which
> > would have been useful for very loud sounds. i expect that the
loud
> > nt3 on battery would not be that astoundingly loud as to
brickwall
> > given mz-r37's lack of a -20 shelf normaliser level, would it?
maybe
> > i should look for a sharp (with the 24 bits of encoding, yummy)
with
> > some defects on ebay...mt15 soudns pretty excellent budget gear.
>
> Since to use any of these mics except the Sony you will need to buy
or
> make a adapter cord, you could build in attenuation into the cord
if
> necessary. Depending on what you record and which mic you may find
it's
> not really necessary. I recorded for years with a Sony MZ-R30,
which had
> the switch, but rarely switched it to the low setting.
>
> All current ATRAC encoding is 24 bit. Though this is only in the
> internal processing. It still records 16 bit, but uses bit shifting
> effectively carry through 24 bit. Sony invented this, Sharp copied
it
> after Sony brought it out. So, it's not unique to the Sharp
recorders.

> > I'll be really happy to DiY some fluffy material and nylon to
make
> > wind sheilds and splash guards... (maybe i could make a party
suit
> > too?)
>
> Study the designs before making. It's not just some material around
the
> mic, there are designs that work. It's definitely a place where you
can
> save money.
>
> > there are wonderful places for sound collecting near my house,
> > abandoned housing full of gypsy junk, nature reserves, town...
this