Re: Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching

Subject: Re: Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 01:51:54 -0500
Rob D. wrote:

> For stereo on this budget, which can make the recording process and
> end results more engaging, I'd consider two Rode Nt3's condensers.
> They're acceptably quiet, robust, ruggedly made and best of all, they
> put out  more signal than other low end mics so that one does not
> have to turn up the MiniDisc mic preamplifier as high and introduce
> more noise.  The Nt3's run a 9 volt battery or phantom power should
> you do buy a preamp down the road. ~$160 each last time I looked.
> They do show up on eBay. Enclosed headphones a must for evaluatiing
> micing positions.
> Rob

I take it you would use these for stereo by coincident miking? What
angle would you use, and what size of stereo field would you expect them
to cover? As hypercardioids they are probably not going to be all that wide=
.

I noted one reviewer saying a single mic was heavy for hand holding. So
with stereo I assume you are planning on using the setup only on a stand?

How wind sensitive and humidity sensitive are these mics?