Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching

Subject: Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching
From: "Rob D." <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:56:22 -0600
>  >From the Low-end guy.
>I would not use a preamp at all.
>I would spend the money only on the mic.
>I would spend the money on a omni mic and not a cardioid.
>
>In natural sound as soon as you talk cardioid you are talking wind.
>For me it is easier to to work around backgrounds than the wind and
>handling noise. Building your own wind screens and shockmounts is
>also a part of the fun to keep in budget.
>
>You didn't mention your ability to build and this is important to the
>mix.
>
>I would favor buying a Sennheiser ME-62 omni and also building my mic
>at http://home.attbi.com/~richpeet
>If you have no mic and can build I would build the home mics first,
>play and then consider a more spendy mic.
>
>As an (kinda) advanced builder, at this budget I prefer the MKH 110
>but if you want an assembled unit ready to play I am 4 to 6 months
>out on that as I am still building my own immediate uses on this mic.
>
>Rich Peet
>PS if you want to record a raging river remember to look for the 6
>foot wide stream. Water is very complex.

For stereo on this budget, which can make the recording process and
end results more engaging, I'd consider two Rode Nt3's condensers.
They're acceptably quiet, robust, ruggedly made and best of all, they
put out  more signal than other low end mics so that one does not
have to turn up the MiniDisc mic preamplifier as high and introduce
more noise.  The Nt3's run a 9 volt battery or phantom power should
you do buy a preamp down the road. ~$160 each last time I looked.
They do show up on eBay. Enclosed headphones a must for evaluatiing
micing positions.
Rob

  - - - -
--