Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching

Subject: Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching
From: "zplazm <>" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:25:29 -0000
Is there any chance anyone knows a website with some varied NT3 demo
sounds, or even some work done with a minidisc?

The -20 DB shelf might turn on automatically with the recording auto-
level... that is why i thought of upgrading md's to one that has it...

I've almost reached a decision i think on my first ever pro-ish
microphone... as it's mainly for audio production and ultra clear
sounds, i value a mono NT3 over the competition. the ECM-ms957 sounds
really good but i think that the instrument mic - NT3 may be more
sensetive and balanced while compromising with stereo. i expect it
also has quite a strong character but seems definately one of the
best poissible mics for the price. that said there are some Behringer
C1000S's giong even cheaper than the NT3, that allegedly sound as
good at least, yet are less sensetive and loud. I might go for a
C1000s if i get a second hand deal. the c1000s even has a cardioid to
hypercardioid switch.
wind should be ok as i'll be monitoring simultaneously and there is a
wind sheild included, with alot of indoor work. i wonder how these
would do for distant sounds like crows or birds, next to each other?

also i just tested the on board preamp with a crystal clear soundcard
signal, and i've got to say it is fairly noticeable, especially on
quiet recordings. there must be a constructor around with a preamp
that boosts to the same level as the on-board one, but with much
lower noise level. perusing the posts on preamps tho it seems that
everyone, even dat users, tend to use onboard preamps over the on
line 9v options such as core-sound and sound professionals, and
engeneers on the mic construction's solutions.

one of my first trips with this cool sampling gear with be a rural
zoo, to sample all the monkeys and tropical birds, wooohoo d:D

Thanks alot !

Ant
> Rob Danielson wrote:
> > Walt wrote: Please see inserts

> >>I take it you would use these for stereo by coincident miking?
> >

> > X-Y makes the smallest rig.  a lttle less phase interaction
>
> Size of rig is part of the reason why I'm going with M/S setups.
But
> without a low cost figure 8 that's kind of ruled out for budget
stereo.
> Unless you go with all in one mics like the Sony. Even there it's a
fair
> hop up in cost to the next higher level in all in one M/S.
>
> >>What
> >>angle would you use
> >

> > Adjustable of course, I use between 30 and 90 degrees. Smaller
angles
> > for closer phenomena
> >

> >>, and what size of stereo field would you expect them
> >>to cover?
> >

> > depends on angle of course. There seems to be pretty consistent
tonal
> > colorarion to about 90 degrees with about a 60 degree X-Y angle.
My
> > students use 90 degrees a lot because its more dramatic.
>
> I'd expect at 90 degrees you would see some "hole in the middle"
begin
> to show up.
>
> >>As hypercardioids they are probably not going to be all that wide.
> >

> > For location ambience, I point them wherever the interesting,
higher
> > hz sounds are coiming from cuz the lows get in from all sides
> > anyways. To get a whole frog pond or a field of birds,
hyper/uni's
> > never work too well, but being able to get more wood frog and
less
> > peeper, they work nicely.
>
> That was my feeling, a lot like the MKH-30/MKH-60 M/S setup I made.
Kind
> of a in between setup. Wider than using a long shotgun or
parabolic. But