Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching

Subject: Re: Stumped on a mic despite researching
From: "zplazm <>" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 23:23:43 -0000
Oh Gosh!=C2=AC

I just wrote a long reply to thank everyone for the excellent info
and yahoo did a login page/byebye letter trick... oh well.

i'm starting to become more focused on what i should do...

I've got a budget of around $200-330 purely for a mic (and preamp?)
solution, because my sister has very kindly lent me her minidisc M37
sony recorder....

*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%If you were given 300 dollars to spend on any
kit you wanted to go with a minidisc, what would you go for to have
the "absolute best" results for recording medium level, close by
sounds effects like a forest stream or dropping a tv from a window? i
think i should really get a cardioid bacause there are always roads
and planes about nearby...%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*

the minidisc is great, i tried with a sony ECM-F9 (CR2020 power!) mic
and it was my first recording experience, with squelchy leaves sounds
and a flowing stream... premium sfx sounds!

as the line in has automatic levelling, i think maybe i should find a
worn up E-bay tascam portastudio or battery-able mixing desk with
phantom power and a line out to use as a preamp, or whatever is
cheapest and maximum 3 kilos...  or possibly even a microphone with a
battery.

most portable preamps seem to provide 9/18 volts power, is this a
compromise? how would i research bettery mics

thx so much!

Ant