Re: marker pens

Subject: Re: marker pens
From: Dan Dugan <>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:11:03 -0700
Evert, you wrote,

>I think there are two sides here.
>If you have a CD player which power/transformer is not capable of
>delivering enough power to spin the added weight you risk that the CD
>lens system cannot be transported quick enough. So added weight in
>this case creates a circumstance where more read errors can occur;
>the error compensating circuitry has to be quite active now.
>
>If however the power/transformer has more than enough power, it can
>easily let the lens system go where it is supposed to, so less read
>errors will occur.
>
>The power design of any equipment, especially true for amps, always
>dictates the posibility of good audible results.
>
>So it is very much dependent on the CD player and its transformer.

CD players have two separate motors for spinning the disc and moving
the lens. I would expect that if a disc was too heavy for the spindle
motor, it would never mount because it wouldn't be able to get up to
speed. It's the spin-up that takes maximum power. Once it's up to
speed it takes little effort from the motor to keep it going.

>Since I am never thinking in terms of single equipment, but always in
>terms of the combinations of uquipment, I personally rule out the use
>of labels. It is not a problem for me to solve. It is a situation I
>freely avoid: I am paranoid when it comes down to storage of data,
>and take as little risk as possible.

I think you are accepting lower performance from your equipment than
is necessary. When I was young, working with tape recorders, I would
demagnetize religiously just in case. Then I got a magnetometer, and
it wasn't a mystery any more, I could find out when I had a problem.
When I started making CDs, why some stock on some burners on some
players was unreliable was a mystery. Then I started measuring RF
levels. Now I know where the problems are and can avoid them.
Knowledge is power.

>Perhaps this whole story could be explained better, buy Englisch is
>not my native tong.
>I hope however you understand what I am getting at.

I understand you well, Evert, your English is fine.

-Dan Dugan